• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clear book module?

Advisor ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a Collection which I want to turn into a book in the book module.  The 1st screenshot shows that Collection.  When I then go to the book module, the previous photobook I created comes up - which is based on a different Collection.  Even though I am still inside the present collection I created in the Colletions panel, Lightroom *thinks* I want the book I previously created - not so!  I want to start a new book.  I don't see a "clear" option inside the book module.  How can I start afresh?  Thanks.  

bartonlew_0-1657384986134.png

bartonlew_1-1657385020866.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Whenever you start a new book by clicking the Module Menu for 'Book' you will see tabs above the pages window-

2022-07-10 09_13_58-Window.jpg

The [Clear Book] tab should remove all pages from the window and limit the photos on the filmstrip to only show your selected photos. Then you start designing your book, either manually by adding page-by-page, or use an Auto-Layout Preset.

The Auto-Layout panel also has a [Clear Layout] button but I suggst this is only useful for clearing an unwantd Auto-Layout to choose another Pres

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever you start a new book by clicking the Module Menu for 'Book' you will see tabs above the pages window-

2022-07-10 09_13_58-Window.jpg

The [Clear Book] tab should remove all pages from the window and limit the photos on the filmstrip to only show your selected photos. Then you start designing your book, either manually by adding page-by-page, or use an Auto-Layout Preset.

The Auto-Layout panel also has a [Clear Layout] button but I suggst this is only useful for clearing an unwantd Auto-Layout to choose another Preset.

2022-07-10 09_22_55-Window.jpg

Once you have your book 'under way' with a basic layout you MUST click on the tab to [Create a Saved Book]. This will create a new Collection that is specifically a 'Book' Collection that records every change you make to the Book design. You always re-open a Book from a 'Saved Book Collection'  (NOT the first Standard Collection you started from!)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  I am not having the same user experience as you.  I cannot see the "Clear Book" and "Create Saved Book" options you are showing in your first screenshot.  I have tried clicking around the Page and Auto Layout options to no avail.  How do I access these tabs?  Thanks.  

bartonlew_1-1657415830310.png

bartonlew_0-1657415756370.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try clicking "Auto Layout" and then "Clear Book" should show up.  The Book module in the most inane fustrating mess in LrC.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Before doing this I want to Create A Saved Book of my prior book as Rob Culen directed in his reply.  But I don't see a "Create A Saved Book" option.  When I right-click on the Collection, however, I do get a "Create Book" option.  Will that do the trick?  Thanks.  

bartonlew_0-1657457580723.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rob_Cullen is the pro here on Book but yes, using right click should create a saved book or you can hit the + in the upper right corner of the Collection Panel and Create a Book there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Keyboard back-slash key [ \ ] will show/hide the top tool bar. So maybe your tabs are hidden. Press [ \ ].

@bartonlew  If the [ \ ] does not reveal the Tabs in your current book, then you have already created a Saved Book Collection, and you can remove or add photo to this Saved Book Collection when you are in Library Grid View.

Now the tabs [Clear Book] and [Create a Saved Book] will only appear when you start a new book from the top Module Menu. **If you click on [Create a Saved Book] they will disappear and no longer be available. You only get this one chance to 'Save' a Book Collection in the Collections panel. EVERTHING to do with this book design is now done from the Saved Book Collection (with a 'Book' icon)

2022-07-11 09_07_43-Lightroom Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Book.jpg

You can now however create a NEW book collection from the Main Menu: Book > New Book, but this does not over-write the current 'Saved Book Collection'

2022-07-11 09_00_27-Lightroom Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Book.jpg

@Bob Somrak  TBMK (and experience) There is no way to create a specific 'Book Collection' in the Collections panel (by clicking on [+] ) This only ever creates a Standard Collection (or a Set).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rob.  This is all confusing.  I had not previously saved my book as a Collection.  When I subsequently created a new Collection and went Book Module, the book from the previous Collection populated, even though it was an entirely different Collection.  Once I created a Saved Book based on the older Collection (using right click on the Collection), the Book Module in the new Collection was cleared, and showed the "Clear Book" and "Create Saved Book" options you referred to.  Why you would need to clear the book for an entirely new book, or only have a *create saved book* option for an entirely new book (as opposed to a partially or fully created one) is a mystery to me, but I guess I'm glad those options are available.  I'll reread your post to see if more sinks in or makes sense.  Thanks.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rob_Cullen 

I was refering to the collection panel in BOOK where the + gives you a "Create Book" 

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 7.13.12 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@bartonlew 

These words were quoted in a post from an Adobe staff member- "Until you have created a "Saved Book Collection" the Book module does not 'know' what photos you want for the book so it pulls in all recent photos from books and folders. "

And I agree "This is all confusing." 🙂

Now my preferred work-around is to create a 'Saved Book Collection" from which I then remove all photos (In Grid view!), then add the photos I want in the book, either from Library Folder view or a Standard Collection, then use a Preset to Auto-layout.

And @Bob Somrak I have been testing your (good) suggestions-

You cannot create a 'Saved Book Collection' by a [Right-Click] on a Standard Collection unless you are already in the Book module. I guess that is the same action as clicking on the Tab. If you repeat this menu action you create another 'new' book of the same images.

I can always learn something new, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines