• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clicking masking takes 3-15 seconds to load

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never written an opinion here, but the current performance of Adobe Lightroom Classic has forced me to do so.

I ask for urgent support, because my program is running below all criticism. Every time I click 'Masking' the program loads. It often takes from 3 to even 15 seconds. Still the 'detecting people' runs automatically, how to turn it off? It really slows down the operation.

In addition, the program just stutters frequently. When I change monitors, when I export something, when I sync settings between one photo and another I get 'no response'.

I recently changed my graphics card to the RX 6950 XT and my processor to the Ryzen 7 3800X3D.
I have updated Windows to version 11, Adobe I update regularly and have the latest versions. I have 32 GB of RAM. I have smart memory access enabled in the BIOS and Kombo Strike 3 recommended.

What can I do more to make Lightroom run more efficiently? I have been doing photography for many years and it has never been this bad.

I will send logs or send more information if needed.

I will appreciate any help.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of things to try:

• Turn off face detection (click on the nameplate, top left, then choose "Paused" next to Face Detection)
  • Turn off Address Lookup
  • Turn off synchronizing with the cloud
  • Make sure your GPU driver is up to date
  • Make sure your virus checker is not checking the folders with your photos and is not checking the folder where the catalog is located and is not checking the folder where the Lightroom Classic software is located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try if it helps to reset preferences: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Do you see a difference with GPU support activated/deactivated?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Still the 'detecting people' runs automatically, how to turn it off? It really slows down the operation."

You can ameliorate that particular problem by keeping the People masking section collapsed:

johnrellis_0-1671214871328.png

LR won't start trying to detect People masks until you expand it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the other suggestions here don't help, please do the LR menu command Help > System Info and copy/paste the entire contents here so we can see exactly which versions of hardware and software LR thinks you're running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic version: 12.1 [ 202212072312-d7ab524b ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition
Version: 10.0.22621
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 3,4GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
CPU Utilisation: 0,0%
Built-in memory: 32693,5 MB
Dedicated GPU memory used by Lightroom: 4096,7MB / 16337,2MB (25%)
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32693,5 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 2075,1 MB (6,3%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 6583,5 MB
GDI objects count: 736
USER objects count: 2604
Process handles count: 2994
Memory cache size: 151,6MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 15.1 [ 1329 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 657MB / 16346MB (4%)
Camera Raw real memory: 707MB / 32693MB (2%)
System DPI setting: 120 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Standard Preview Size: 3440 pixels
Displays: 1) 1920x1080, 2) 3440x1440
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info: 
DirectX: AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT (31.0.12029.10015)
Init State: GPU for Image Processing supported by default with custom export support
User Preference: GPU for Export enabled

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: D:\Zdjęcia\2022.09.30 - Ślub Alicja i Rafał\Ślub Alicja i Rafał lr\Ślub Alicja i Rafał lr-v12.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\xovin\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins: 
1) AdobeStock
2) Flickr
3) Nikon Tether Plugin

I don't understand why it shows Windows 10 as the operating system, as I'm actually using Windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"why it shows Windows 10 as the operating system, as I'm actually using Windows 11"

It's a trivial LR bug that confuses lots of people but which Adobe hasn't bothered to fix:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-sdk-and-help-gt-system-info-report-the-wrong...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive me for the lack of response, but I have been testing various possibilities on subsequent orders.

@dj_paige- Face detection, Address Lookup and cloud sync are always off. I have the latest GPU driver because I use AMD Software, where I update the card as soon as a new driver comes out.

I don't think antivirus is the problem here either, although I have no idea what.

I've also been peeking at my computer's component usage.
When working in Adobe, the CPU is used up to 20% and the GPU is used up to 30% (running most when exporting).

So what could the problem be?

@johnrellis - I have disabled detecting people, that's a good point, thank you. This makes the masks open faster, however I still notice problems.

Mostly the program slows down when:
- I open a photo to which I have synchronised settings from another photo,
- I open masks where several are used, e.g. 2-3 gradients/brushes,
- the longer I work in the program the more it slows down. After 2-3 hours of work, the best solution is to restart the program. Then it starts to run faster again.

The stuttering of Adobe LR is really annoying. I usually have about 600 photos in Quick Collection and about 2500 in the catalogue. If the programme freezes for 3-15 seconds while halfway through, it is really slowing down.

The last time I wanted to export photos, for example, the program crashed like this (nothing could be done and the export didn't work):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The last time I wanted to export photos, for example, the program crashed like this (nothing could be done and the export didn't work) ... I open masks where several are used, e.g. 2-3 gradients/brushes,"

Try setting Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Use GPU For Display.  If that reduces the problems with the increasing sluggishness and freezing, that points the finger at the GPU.  

There have been a number of reports here about issues with the latest drivers from AMD.  A couple have reported that rolling back to a version 6-9 months old worked around the problems.

"the longer I work in the program the more it slows down. After 2-3 hours of work, the best solution is to restart the program. Then it starts to run faster again."

Monitor LR's memory usage in the More Details view of Task Manager. If it starts getting above, say, 15 or 20,000 MB (15 or 20 GB) as it slows down, that indicates a possible memory leak in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your time. I've checked everything and find that simply Lightroom is not working efficiently. I have it set to 'Use Graphics Processor to Use GPU For Display'. My Lr never takes more than 8 GB of memory and even though I have 32 GB of it, it stutters. The CPU is not used more than 40% powerfully. The graphics card is mainly loaded when exporting. When processing photos it is mostly less than 3-5%.

I don't feel it should be the fault of my hardware 😞

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines