Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Code lockdown

Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis 

I have some questions for you regarding locking our plugin code on the OS and PC level. Do you do any private contractor work or would you be willing to help us understand better how we can protect our plugin code from readibilty? Thanks for all your help John and looking forward to chatting with you on this! 

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most developers compile the .lua source into byte codes using the "luac" compiler distributed with the SDK.  That provides obscurity roughly comparable to compiling C or C++.  There are tools that decompile Lua bytecodes, but they're not very good and their output isn't much  more useful than you'd get from disassemblers applied to C or C++.

I believe Jeffrey Friedl compiles and then encrypts his plugins.  Lua provides facilities for that that I think would be accessible when loading LR plugins, but I haven't done into how much of a song-and-dance that would require.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@jeffreyfriedlan 

Curious if you might have some insight into this! Thanks so much! And thanks @johnrellis for your input! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines