• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Collections very slow

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lot of smart collections.When opening LR and adding a new Collection Set, LR is extremely slow. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes to show the dialog box. In the meantime CPU, Memory and HD is hardly used. I feel like dramatic speedups would be possible here. Please let me know if I can help.
Running latest LR version on Windows10.20H2, Intel i9-9900K with 32Gb running from SSD. Same issue on M1 Macbook Air.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear about the lag that you see in the collection in Photoshop. We're here to help.

Which version of Lightroom are you using? How many pictures does the collection have? How are you trying to add the new collection set? Please try with a new catalog to see if it is the same issue for all the catalogs or just this one? 

Try optimizing Lightroom:https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

and let s know if this works.

Thanks

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply Ranjisha.
I am using LR 11.2. I have attached the System Info if that helps.
It doesn't seem to make a difference if the final collection has 0 or 1000 images. It is just very slow to start. Like idle.
I am adding creating Collections Sets bij right clicking in the collections panel. Using the + sign to create the collection set does not seem to make a difference.
If is slow with all catalogs. Larges catalogs are slower than smaller ones, but all catalogs with a bunch of smart collections are slow.

For the optimizing tips, I thing I have done them all. Trying to get all the speed out of LR for years!
Please let me know if I can run specific tests for you.
Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think having a lot of smart collections is known to cause slowness. At least, it used to be that way, I do not know if that was ever fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have a lot of smart collections."

To build on dj_paige's reply, how many is "a lot" -- 10, 50, 100, 500?

When you start LR, does it take a long while for the matching-photo counts of the smart collections to appear in the Collections panel?

Depending on your answers, I could suggest a workaround that helped at least a couple others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thought (which may or may not apply to @Ken Pimontel )

Some people create a smart collection for each keyword (or for many of their keywords). So for example, if you have 500 keywords, and then create 500 smart collections to find photos for each keyword. This is completely unnecessary in LrC as photos with a specific keyword can be found without a smart collection, using either the Keyword List panel, or the Filter Bar. Doing this with smart collections is also a lot of extra work. Extra work that is unnecessary is something I recommend people avoid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over 500 and preferably unlimited.
On a large catalog it can take several minutes for the counts to appear.

Appreciate the support John!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Over 500 and preferably unlimited."

One workaround that has helped others: Put the smart collections into multiple collection sets, no more than 10-20 or so in each set. Keep all the sets collapsed except the one with the smart collection you're accessing.  

A quick way to see if this will help: Put all smart collections except one in a temporary collection set and collapse the set. Then restart LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Hence the request to fix this. Looks like the available hardware is not used to the fullest to speed this up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same issue for years now – whether it's creating, renaming, moving, or deleting collections. I always assumed the lag was due to the roughly ~250 smart collections in my catalog, but despite deleting all of them recently, there has been no noticeable improvement in performance. 

Creating each new collection takes ~30 seconds on my state-of-the-art system (see below). Granted, that's a significant improvement over the ~60-seconds it took on my old machine (2017 MacBook Pro 15"), but still way slower than it needs to be to be practical – especially considering how quick and responsive most other LR functions are with a catalog as large as mine (i.e. searches, keywording, etc.)

For now, the only workaround seems to be editing/organizing each incoming project using a smaller, temporary catalog and then importing it into my primary catalog. Workable, yes, but tedious, especially when one wants to make additions/changes to the collections tree (which I rely on heavily.)

Any improvements or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

CATALOG

~500K images / ~4,500 collections / 0 smart collections (My catalog is admittedly huge, but I prefer to keep everything in a single database since my commercial, stock, and personal work often intersects)

LR

LR Classic (11.3.1)

SYSTEM / MACHINE

macOS Monterey 12.3.1 / MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Max, 64 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now, the only workaround seems to be editing/organizing each incoming project using a smaller

Or not use so many smart collections

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I wasn't clear – the problem persists despite deleting ALL of my smart collections. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Again – deleting all ~250 smart collections in my catalog resulted in no noticeable improvement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines