Color differences between Develop and Print modules.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color differences between Develop and Print modules.

Hello, I am reaching to you at Adobe to try and fix a problem. I prefer to ask for your help instead of losing time researching the internet. Regarding the hardware: I use the iMac, retina 5K 27 inches, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i5 6 hearts. Running with macOS Big Sur 11.2.3. Now the software:  Adobe Lightroom Classic 10.2 Using Lightroom Classic, I notice that the work (crop is OK, but color, saturation not) that was done on a file in the Develop module does not always reflect in the Print module. Even when I change the color profil from Adobe RVB to Pro Photo RVB. Sometimes the colors are ok. But every time I use a layout, the colors are incorrect. Do you have a solution to fix this? Thank you for looking into this.02-Develop.JPG03-Print-NotOk.JPG04-Print-Ok.JPG05-Layout-NotOk.JPG

TOPICS
Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you actually print this to JPEG and then check the colors of the JPEG? I do not think that the print module is color managed. It does not show you a soft proof, but simply the same previews as the Library moduke does. The Develop module has different previews so they can indeed look different. Ignore it and look at the printed result. Or choose Soft Proof in the Develop module and choose the same profile here.

BTW, do not create JPEG's in ProPhotoRGB! ProPhotoRGB should only be used in combination with 16 bits color and JPEG does not support that.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Johan for your help.

I do not print at home. But I prepare the files and send them to a lab. I save in JPG and sRVB or AdobeRVB before sending. As I open the file before sending it, I can see that the color are ok. From what you write, I understand that it is a question of color management in Lightroom. I read the following about Lrt:

"In the Develop module, by default, Lightroom renders previews using the ProPhoto RGB color space. ProPhoto RGB contains all colors that digital cameras can capture, making it an excellent choice for editing images.

Library, Map, Book, and Print modules in Lightroom render colors in the Adobe RGB color space. The Adobe RGB gamut includes most colors that digital cameras can capture together with some printable colors (cyans and blues, in particular) that cannot be defined using the smaller, web-friendly sRGB color space."

What I do not understand is why sometimes the colors in Print are the same as in Develop and many times not? For my creative process, I prefer to see my file color adjusted when working a layout to be printed. Thank's again

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe community, I am still looking for a solution with a problem with Lightroom Classic. Color differences between Develop and Print modules.  You can read the above post for more info. Does anyone have a clue? Thank you for helping out.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"What I do not understand is why sometimes the colors in Print are the same as in Develop and many times not? For my creative process, I prefer to see my file color adjusted when working a layout to be printed."

As Johan already explained the Print module uses Adobe RGB color profiled previews, which is the same as the Library module. The Develop module uses the much wider ProPhoto RGB colorspace. If a specific file looks the same in both the Print and Develop modules it means the image does not contain any color gamut outside Adobe RGB. In addition to see these differences you need to use a wide gamut display. On a standard gamut display (i.e. sRGB gamut) these differences will not be visible.

As already mentioned all soft proof adjustments should be made and previewed in the Develop module. Once completed there is no need to be concerend with image file color as it appear inside the Print module. Simply set the Print module's Color Manangement to the same profile used for soft proofing.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color has always looked the same in develop and print modules for me, I have been using Lightroom since the begining. Now ONLY since the upgrade to Big Sur OS 11, am I having this same issue: The color looks darker and desaturated in the print module. Please help. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A followup: The colors are "normal" untill I click "Zoom to Fill", then they look darker and desatuarted. Maybe that is why the issue seems to show up in a Picture Package. Again, this is new behavior since upgrading to Big Sur.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As other's have said, it's expected that previews outside the Develop Module may not exactly match as Develop uses a unique preview architecture and further, one must preview at 1:1 to see an accurate preview. 

That said, there IS a bug in the current version, at least on this end too, where Develop and Print greatly mismatch. Adobe is aware of this. I checked the same image in the two modules with LR5 (very old version yes) and indeed, the two match closer. In the current version, the two are a mile off. 

Further, while this should be fixed, in Print module, there's nothing you need to view; you can't soft proof and the preview is really for FPO only. But yes, the current version should preview closer than I'm seeing in the last release. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem but found that it was related to using "Zoom to fit" Toggling that on had a marked (unwanted) effect on the colours as seen in Develop, and the changed colours were reproduced in the print. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines