• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color differences exporting to sRGB & soft proofing not working

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I develop photos exclusively for web use in Lightroom Classic. That means I'm exporting in sRGB colorspace to post images on my website and social media. However, exported photos look completely different than what I see while developing. I assume this is because Lightroom uses a different ProPhoto colorspace. My monitor is a Dell S2721DGF IPS monitor. It has a wide-gamut and excellent color reproduction, though I have not done any calibration myself.

Now, I understand that Lightroom is a color managed program and windows/web is not, therefore I expect to see color differences when exporting to sRGB. I'm trying to use soft proofing to predict the differences and make changes, but the issue is that the soft-proofing doesn't appear to be working correctly. The picture I open in Windows does not reflect the soft-proofed sRGB copy displaying in Lightroom. Furthermore, the soft-proofed copy doesn't appear any different than the original in a side-by-side comparison inside Lightroom.

See the image below. The sRGB proof in Lightroom still appears different than the exported sRGB image. The exported image (left) is darker, higher contrast, and more saturated. Any ideas why these images would still be different after soft proofing? Alternatively, is there any way I can change the colorspace inside Lightroom to simply develop in sRGB and see the same colors when I export? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

sRGB Proof.JPG

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

@D Fosse has the correct answer here. The images in that screenshot are identical if you consider they are displayed in different programs that use different scaling algorithms. What you are seeing is that Develop uses a different scaling algorithm to downscale your image to the display size than other places. It subsamples the original raw file for the display. This can result in an overestimation of colorfullness (it might just happen to pick out the strongly colored pixels) and this often lea

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

You can't change the way develop renders unfortunately. The difference is minimized if you use high resolution displays such as retina screens, 4k monitors, etc. since you can't really see the individual pixels there. You can get a bit of an idea by switching back and forth to Library or by using a second display (the preview on the secondary display is rendered from the jpeg preview just like in library but it updates live (but slow) while doing changes in develop settings). One factor we haven

Votes

Translate

Translate
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that this isn't an HDR display or anything that would be causing a file with a PQ profile to show up differently, although I don't think HDR displays honor those outside of .heif and .av1c (or whatever the new video-derived-still is called).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue. I don't think it has anything to do with scaling. Left is the PNG exported with SRGB. It's applied as a desktop wallpaper. (It looks the same viewed with irfanview) Right is the SRGB soft proof in lightroom, which always looks identical no matter profile or intent I choose for the proof. The colors are drastically different after export. My monitor is calibrated with a SpyderX using DisplayCal and the profile is properly applied in Windows. My monitor is a a 10 bit monitor but only covers 99.9% standard SRGB gamut.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's applied as a desktop wallpaper.

Which means it's not color managed. Or it would match Lr. Desktop wallpaper on Windows perhaps? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you don't have the same issue. I suggest you start a new thread with some more screenshots.

The Windows desktop is not color managed and will never display correct colors, under any circumstances.

Since your monitor is standard gamut, proofing to sRGB is pointless. Everything you see is already proofed to sRGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple solution and many wrong answers. I faced the same problem. go to the color sync utility and change the default color LCD to sRgb. You may need to look for the profile in the color profiles folder on the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DO NOT DO THIS! It guarantees you will have incorrect color. You are effectively turning off any correction for the display gamut. Your display is HIGHLY unlikely to be sRGB nowadays. Most Macs have a display P3 like color gamut. Many external displays are much wider than sRGB. The only correct answers are already given above. Calibrate your display, export to color spaces wide enough to contain all the colors in the image, only use color managed apps to view your exports. Luckily nowadays all browsers are color managed.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Simple solution and many wrong answers. I faced the same problem. go to the color sync utility and change the default color LCD to sRgb. You may need to look for the profile in the color profiles folder on the system.

By @Leonardo Izar

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" -H. L. Mencken

+1 to what Jao vdL just posted. This isn't a fix. Now all you've done is hose Lightrooms color managed previews as well. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines