Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color mismatch between Lightroom and Photoshop when opening photos as layers

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I always open corrected files from LR to PS as layers in 16bit prophoto and not smart object. I had no problem in the past using that technique, PS was rendering the photos from LR with all the corrections I had done in LR. Recently, this is not working anymore...

I tried raw files from 2 different camera brands and got the same result. The photos in the layers are different from the ones I corrected in LR. Strange colours.

I made a test this morning and opened 2 photos, but not as layers this time. PS in this case prompted the usual dialog box regarding the Colour profile. I ticked integrated Color profile in the first one (and got the corrected photo from LR - no problem here) and no Color profile in the second one (and got obviously an ugly photo with kind of a strange 'Color cast'). Then, I opened the same 2 photos from LR to PS but as layers this time. The result was the exact same as the photo without the Color profile.

When I open photos from LR to PS as layers, PS doesn't prompt any dialog box regarding the Color profile. Can't remember if it was the case before.

versions of LR and PS and system:

Adobe CC: LR-2015.10.1 & PS-2017.1.1 (version 18.1.1) - ACR-9.10.1

System: macOS Sierra-10.12.5

MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz - i7 - 16 Go Ram

iMac(2020) 10.15.7(Catalina) - 3.8Ghz i7 - 72GB DDR4 - AMD Radon Pro 5700XT 16 GB. All programs and drivers are up to date

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Re-calibrate your monitor and test.

This sounds like a corrupted monitor profile.

You can switch your monitor profile to sRGB to test.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-corrupted/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No one experiencing the same? or having a solution?

Thanks for help

ps: working on a calibrated Eizo monitor

iMac(2020) 10.15.7(Catalina) - 3.8Ghz i7 - 72GB DDR4 - AMD Radon Pro 5700XT 16 GB. All programs and drivers are up to date

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-calibrate your monitor and test.

This sounds like a corrupted monitor profile.

You can switch your monitor profile to sRGB to test.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your answer

Monitor was re-calibrated last night (didn't change anything) and I tested the sRGB profile, didn't change anything either

i also tested it on my macbook screen and got the exact same result

Doesn't look to me as a colour profile problem

This only occurs when trying to open 2 images as layers from LR to PS via the drop down menu 'modify'

This never happened in previous versions

If I open any single image from LR to PS, there isn't any problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem. And yes, I think it's a bug. I resolved it this way:

1. Lightroom > Select 2 images and > Edit in > Open as Layers in Photoshop

2. Photoshop > Edit > Assign Profile > Select the original Lightroom image color profile (for me ProPhoto RGB) and assign it for each layer / image imported from Lightroom.

3. Then edit the image in Photoshop and save it. It automatically imports the new image to Lightroom as a tif. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JanProsek  wrote

The same problem. And yes, I think it's a bug. I resolved it this way:

1. Lightroom > Select 2 images and > Edit in > Open as Layers in Photoshop

2. Photoshop > Edit > Assign Profile > Select the original Lightroom image color profile (for me ProPhoto RGB) and assign it for each layer / image imported from Lightroom.

3. Then edit the image in Photoshop and save it. It automatically imports the new image to Lightroom as a tif. 

Have you changed anything in Photoshop's color settings? Specifically color management policies?

Normally, any incoming profile should be preserved in Photoshop, and the image displayed correctly. Doesn't matter which profile. The only way this could happen under normal circumstances, is if you had PS policies set to "off", which you should never ever do.

If Photoshop strips or changes the profile even with PS set to "preserve", it's corrupt preferences (not a bug).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, that resolved the problem for me! assigning the prophoto profile in an extra step after opening in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem and also had to do this work around. Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines