• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color shift when printing

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Lightroom 6.14 on an HP Envy. I print with an Epson ET-4750. I want the prints to look like they do on screen after much hard work editing. Instead, the WB changes usually to the cool side. I want the printer to print what is on the screen. In the Print Module-PrintJob/Color Management I see "managed by printer" as an option along with "other". Other brings up options for an Epson XP810 I no longer own. The ET-4750 has Color Correction settings for Automatic and Custom/Advanced with several more options. 

Long story short, I want the printer to print exactly what I created in Lightroom. What are the settings for that?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you would like to get the same result on the printer thst you seen on the screen you must have a color management through the whole process. Your screen must be calibrated and you must use appropriate profiles for your printer and the appropriate paper that you been using for print.

How to manage color in Lightroom Classic (adobe.com)

In the first step you should check that you're using the latest version of you printer driver.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are my prints too dark (or don’t match my display)?
A video update to a written piece on subject from 2013
In this 24 minute video, I'll cover:

Are your prints really too dark?
Display calibration and WYSIWYG
Proper print viewing conditions
Trouble shooting to get a match
Avoiding kludges that don't solve the problem

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/Why_are_my_prints_too_dark.mp4
Low resolution: https://youtu.be/iS6sjZmxjY4

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Others have made a number of good suggestions but you didn't mention the paper you are trying to print on. As Axel pointed out, color management is a multi-step process starting with a calibrated monitor.

If your monitor is not calibrated, you will likely see changes in the print output when using a print profile.

If you are trying to print only to standard white paper, you will likely have colour differences.

When you are printing, the normal practice is to let Lightroom manage the color by selecting the profile for the printer and paper. For example, on my LrC 10.2 (which should be similar to LR6), I specicfy the following to print to my Epson XP-15000 to Epson Premium Glossy Paper (See Print Moduke.JPG).

As to Others, this allows you to select a shorter list that is presented in the LR Print Module. As you can see, print profiles are retained, even for old printers. In my case I still see the profiles for old EPSON 1400 (See Print Profiles.JPG).

So, short answer.

1. Calibrate your monitor
  2. Let LR manage color
  3. Select the profile that matches your printer and paper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All -

Thank you. I must confess that I have not  calibrated the monitor. My bad, I know. The driver was recently updated. However, the colors are still not a little off but way off.  I think my problem relates to the the printer profile referred to by Max and DS256. Both assume that Lightroom will allow me to select a color profile and paper for the ET-4750 in Color Management. IT DOES NOT. As I wrote, Color Management choices are limited to "Managed by Printer" or a bunch of choices for my Epson 810. Epson online Help says tohave an image on screen in the LR print module, choose Managed by Printer for a Profile setting in Color Management then press Print. The printer driver's Print window is supposed to appear in a LR pop up box showing the printer name. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN. All that happens is the picture prints. LR help stated that if there is no option to select a printer under Color Management, then none are available for that printer. (Here it is verbatim: "Custom printer color profiles are usually created using special devices and software that generate the profile files. If printer color profiles are not installed on your computer or if Lightroom Classic cannot locate them, Managed By Printer and Other are the only options available in the Profile area of the Print Job panel.") I have a hard time believing this is true for the ET-4750 but that is what happens. Wouldn't the 4750 color profiles be intalled with the driver and everything else? The only way I can select the paper type is by selecting Printer which brings up the printer menu for the 4750. In that menu Properties allows me to select More Options which has an Option for Color Correction but none of the Custom choices (Color Controls, ICM) make any significant difference in the print.

Shouldn't there be profiles for the 4750 showing up in LR under Color Management?

BTW, Epson updates have not been going through because the update program thinks the 4750 is not connected. However, it prints documents and scans fine. I'm wondering if there is a communication problem on some level between some programs, like LR and the 4750.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I meant Axel, not Max. Max is my grandson...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. The Screen - Print comparison shows the radical difference between what I see on screen and what prints. Paper selection was made using Printer button in lower far right of image 2.

2. The Color Management Options shows what is available to me in LR.

3, The Other options image shows that only XP-810 profiles are available, nothing for ET-4750.

I updated my drivers via USB cable this morning (to ensure that update went through since wi-fi was stalling). The images referenced were made after the update. Will screen calibration (and other steps) really make a difference if I don't have profiles for the 4750?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Seeboth wrote:

1. The Screen - Print comparison shows the radical difference between what I see on screen and what prints.

1. Moot: you MUST soft proof then calibrate the display to match this soft proof.**

2. You've selected Managed by Printer; no good, not using the same path and profile and control over rendering intent as if you used "Application Manages Color" and selected the correct profile for output. 

** Why are my prints too dark?
A video update to a written piece on subject from 2013
In this 24 minute video, I'll cover:

Are your prints really too dark?
Display calibration and WYSIWYG
Proper print viewing conditions
Trouble shooting to get a match
Avoiding kludges that don't solve the problem

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/Why_are_my_prints_too_dark.mp4
Low resolution: https://youtu.be/iS6sjZmxjY4

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear DD

What I having been trying to tell people is that the only option I have at "color management " is managed by printer or my Epson 810 profiles. "Application manages color" is nowhere to be found. That having been said, the color shift was caused  by a clogged yellow ink jet nozzle. Once this was cleared the prints matched the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines