• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Combine several LRC catalogs and external drives onto new computer internal drives

Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Purchased new computer with 3 internal SSDs and I want to combine catalogs and drives onto the new computer.

I currently have several existing LRC catalogs and 6 external drives (and some drives include related LRC catalogs).  

Anybody have any guidance for combining/merging images and edits?  Main questions:

1. How to combine catalogs?

2. How to move images to internal SSDs without losing edits?

I know I can ignore the edits and simply use the old hard drives as backups, but I'd rather try to combine everything, including image files and edits, onto the new computer with the onboard drives.  Suggestions??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

1. Pick one catalog as your master going forward. For each of the other catalogs, while in the Master catalog, go to File -> Import From Another Catalog. Choose one of the other catalogs to import into the Master catalog. Write down a list of the catalogs you are planning to merge/import and check them off when the import catalog process is complete. Note: If the catalogs have not all been converted by Lightroom Classic to the latest version (V 11) convert them first before importing to the Mast

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out!

To combine catalog, please look into this article and check: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/catalog-faq-lightroom.html

In order to move images, you may check this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/photos.html

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Tarun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Pick one catalog as your master going forward. For each of the other catalogs, while in the Master catalog, go to File -> Import From Another Catalog. Choose one of the other catalogs to import into the Master catalog. Write down a list of the catalogs you are planning to merge/import and check them off when the import catalog process is complete. Note: If the catalogs have not all been converted by Lightroom Classic to the latest version (V 11) convert them first before importing to the Master catalog

2. Once all catalogs have been merged into the Master catalog, you can move the folders around in Lightroom Classic Library module, Folders Panel to the SSD(s) of your choice. It's preferable to only move a few folders at once. DO NOT do this outside of Lightroom Classic because Lightroom Classic will loose track of the image files/folders if you do. Also, DO NOT be tempted to Re-Import any folders/images that you have already imported.

3. Once all this is accomplished, back up both the newly updated Master catalog and the image folders/files in their current organization scheme for ease of future restoration if needed.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moving a small number of files and folders from inside LrC usually works fine. However, when moving the entire contents of one drive to another drive many users have lost files. Please read the below post with my suggestion to use Copy and Paste from outside LrC using Finder or File Explorer. I also agree with KR Seals that it's best to use one catalog unless you have some specific reason, which we can discuss here BEFORE attempting to move anything.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/how-do-i-move-my-pictures-to-external-h...

In your case do this one drive at a time and make sure to establish a top-level folder for each drive on the destination drive so you can keep track of what files are from which drive. You can then reconnect the files from each drive (one-at-a-time) following the procedure at the below link.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines