• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Constant Kernel Panics in Lightroom and ACR Freeze Mac and Force Reboot

Explorer ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the Develop module in Lightroom or ACR, after about 10 seconds my 2019 iMac's fans spin up to full speed, I get 100% cpu usage and the entire system completely locks up and then restarts about a minute later. If I disable the GPU acceleration in Lightroom I can use Develop but it is painfully slow to use in this way. I have an extremely large LR catalog that was working perfectly up until a week ago and my workflow has ground to a halt.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Just wanted to follow up on this in case it helps anyone else, particularly since I haven't seen this particular recommendation listed anywhere else.

After going through all of the official and unofficial troubleshooting suggestions, including deleting preference files, reseting the GPU prefs, making a new user account on the Mac, checking admin rights etc etc etc - the issue turned out to be a monitor issue. About a month ago I added a second external monitor to my iMac (one 27" either side of

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to add - this is with LR Classic 10.2. I downgraded to 10.1 to see if it fixed it and it made no difference. Running Big Sur 11.4  

2021-05-28_10-20-46.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also - no antivirus software installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing to try is reset preferences:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html 

If that fails, there are some other steps to try....

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I reset preferences and then it crashed within 20 seconds of switching to Develop module. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try disabling GPU in the preferences (Preformance). Any better?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned in the original post, disabling GPU 'fixes' it in the sense that it doesn't crash. However it is also painfully slow with GPU disabled which is problematic when working through large folders of images to be processed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well slow is better than crashing. If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it.
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Slow is better than crashing". Well thanks for that absolute gem of lovingly dispensed wisdom, Mr Adobe Community Professional. We can't fix the problem, so suck it up and deal with a severely handicapped bit of software? That's your solution? Perhaps we could have avoided your other pointless copy and paste fix suggestions if you'd bothered to read my original post properly in the first place, in which I mentioned that sabotaging LR by turning off GPU fixed the crashes but made it virtually unusable on a professional basis.

Nothing has changed on my Mac in terms of updates that provoked the Lightroom crashes. No new software has been installed, no OS updates applied. In either LR Classic Develop or ACR, Adobe's software triggers a kernel panic that completely locks the entire computer and requires a hard reboot.

"Hey Adobe dev team - no need to investigate - it's clearly nothing to do with us. Palm it off onto Apple instead. Nothing to see here."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the problem with your buggy GPU can be fixed. As outlined. You assume that affects every Mac and GPU which is wrong.

Nothing has changed on your Mac in terms of updates that provoked the Lightroom crashes. Lightroom just magically changed and spoils like cheese outside a refrigerator; right. 

Revert to an older build, update your GPU. Keep crashing the newer version of LR; all fine with me sir. 

This is a user to user support forum; don't get pissy with volunteers trying to help you! 
You want to get to the fix or get snarky? Let's try again then, if your attitude keeps going down hill, you'll be on your own:

Try logging into another account (you may need to make one), still crashing? 

Try starting up in Safe mode (hold down Shift Key when booting), still crashing? 

You might want to try running a free utility like Onyx: still crashing? 

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes mate - I am sorry - I thought this was an official Adobe forum manned by Adobe staff paid in hard currency, not a volunteer site running on good will. I'll submit a support request via official channels instead of wasting everyone's time in here. Thanks for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the Develop module in Lightroom or ACR, after about 10 seconds my 2019 iMac's fans spin up to full speed, I get 100% cpu usage and the entire system completely locks up and then restarts about a minute later.

These symptoms (fans running followed by computer restarting itself) are a very clear indication of thermal problems, brought on most likely by some failure of the cooling system in your iMac.

I have an extremely large LR catalog that was working perfectly up until a week ago

Another clear indication of a hardware problem (almost definitely in the cooling system). Everything works fine until some point in time when there are no known changes to a computer; but hardware can fail at any time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And perhaps a bad RAM module. But the OP should try a few software tests outlined first IMHO. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be fine, except that it is only LR and ACR causing the issue. I use FCPX, Ableton, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver and various other intensive apps and have no issues at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to follow up on this in case it helps anyone else, particularly since I haven't seen this particular recommendation listed anywhere else.

After going through all of the official and unofficial troubleshooting suggestions, including deleting preference files, reseting the GPU prefs, making a new user account on the Mac, checking admin rights etc etc etc - the issue turned out to be a monitor issue. About a month ago I added a second external monitor to my iMac (one 27" either side of the main display) running off USB-C naturally, like the existing external monitor.

Basically Lightroom Classic (Develop module) and Adobe Camera RAW crash when I have two external displays running off USB-C on my Retina iMac. When I drop back to one display I get no kernel crashes and no freeze-ups. Since Lightroom doesn't support more than one external display this isn't a huge issue, since I can just pull the plug on the second display while working in Lightroom and plug it back in when I'm done.

No idea why LR and ACR meltdown when you have two external displays plugged into your iMac, but I guess it's not a very common setup and I doubt it would rank very far up the list of bug fixes Adobe software engineers have to fix up. Anyway - hope this helps someone down the line. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally do have a mac and run 3 displays - and using Lightroom does not cause crashes.

I am on Catalina and not BIg Sur - maybe there is an issue with the OS, 2 monitors - did you add that second monitor just before LR started crashing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, here is the info on using second monitors with Lightroom:

You can open a window that displays a second view of the Library. This second window displays the photos that are selected in the Library module, and uses the Library module view options that are specified in the primary Lightroom Classic window for Grid and Loupe view. The second window can stay open regardless of which module you’re working in, so it’s easy to view and select different photos at any time. If you have a second monitor connected to the computer that runs Lightroom Classic, you can display the second window on that screen.

When working with multiple windows, Lightroom Classic applies commands and edits to the photo or photos that are selected in the main application window regardless of what is selected in the second window. To apply a command to one or more selected photos in the second window, right-click (Windows) or Control-click (Mac OS) the selected photos in Grid, Compare, or Survey view in the second window and choose a command.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/displaying-library-second-monitor.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you add that second monitor just before LR started crashing?

By @kentdesign

Yes. I was thinking back to when the crashes started happening and trying to work out if something had changed at my end and then I remembered that it was about the same time I added a second external display. So I tried using LR without the second external display plugged in and have experienced no crashes since. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so we know, What do you consider and "extremely large LR catalog?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently 245,237 photographs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Large catalog files not known to cause crashes or slowness (exception: making backups will be slow)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a fairly large catalog. I have known others with larger ones and no crashes.

And yes, dj_paige is totally correct. Back ups will be slower....logical!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On efinal follow up. I personally have an iMac Pro 2017 (27 inch) running Catalina 10.15.7 (with a 

Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB graphics card.) I have two external monitors, both those are 24 inch.

One is connected directly to the iMac, the other is connected to a THunderbolt 3 dock from OWC.

I just ran a test with all monitors on and launched Lightroom 10.2.

After trying mirroring the displays, not mirroring, moving Lightroom from one to the other, with both iMessages and Safari running, no crashes, no glitches, no slow downs at all.

So it might still be your connections or, as DJ_Paige said,  the possibilities of a hardware failure with your system...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes i have the sam problem with lightroom, i'ts painful to work and long time 😞

imac pro2019, osx 11.5, vega 56, 32gb ram i9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines