• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy and paste IPTC metadata NOT working

Explorer ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I need to do is copy and paste the Headline and Description for about 100 images. And maybe one or two will paste but the rest will not. Very frustrating. On M1Mac, Latest version of everything

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Ah, the screenshots clarify what's happening.  You need to click Selected Photos in the Metadata panel:

johnrellis_0-1660527233428.png

With Target Photo, only the most-selected photo is changed.

I should have asked about this earlier -- I misunderstood your previous descriptions.  My bad.

The option controlling this has always been present in LR via the menu item Metadata > Show Metadata For Target Photo Only, but it defaulted off.  LR 11 exposed the option in the Metadata panel (which is good) but bungled the implementation,

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many have reported issues with Copy/Sync of develop settings in LR 11.3 and 11.3.1, and there have been other bugs reported with copying metadata, but I haven't seen these symptoms reported before. I just tried Copy/Paste of Headline and Description to over 1100 photos in LR 11.3.1 and didn't experience the problem. Without a recipe that reproduces the problem on any LR installation, Adobe is unlikely to look at the problem, unless many people report it.

You could try these workarounds:

1. Set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

2. Do the menu command Help > System Info. If you're on 11.3 or 11.3.1, roll back to 11.2.

(If you're not on 11.3.1, please do Help > System Info and report the precise version number.  People often report "latest" when they're not.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John
I've always had Automatically Write Changes Into XMP checked. 

I've also experienced problems with copying/pasting develop settings as well.

I appreciate your input and I'll try the rollback. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the rollback to 11.2 did not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I've also experienced problems with copying/pasting develop settings as well."

With pasting develop settings, are the sliders getting changed on the target photos but the Library previews not updating?  That's another known bug in 11.3 / 11.3.1:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-library-previews-not-updating/idi-p/12897363

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, are you in Loupe view when you do this (one photo showing above the filmstrip)?  In Loupe view, Paste will only modify the most-selected (current) photo -- switch to Grid view before doing the Paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. Understood. Getting back to the metadata, I remember in the past when I pasted into a field, a message would appear that would say something like "Metadata being updated for 100 images." I'm not seeing that now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it might take 10 seconds or so. I'm wondering if I'm checking too soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you're in Grid view when you're pasting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, to be clear I'm talking about captions, headlines, etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a full-resolution screenshot of your entire LR window immediately after pasting -- that might give important clues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem remains with LR 11.4. The data will ONLY paste to the image next to the one copied. Here I copied the Title from the middle image at the top. Note that 4 successive images are selected and pasted. (Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 4.58.53 PM) Also note that only one image had metadata changed (the one in the top right corner). Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, the screenshots clarify what's happening.  You need to click Selected Photos in the Metadata panel:

johnrellis_0-1660527233428.png

With Target Photo, only the most-selected photo is changed.

I should have asked about this earlier -- I misunderstood your previous descriptions.  My bad.

The option controlling this has always been present in LR via the menu item Metadata > Show Metadata For Target Photo Only, but it defaulted off.  LR 11 exposed the option in the Metadata panel (which is good) but bungled the implementation, making the default to be Target Photo, regardless of the user's previous setting. Large numbers of users have been confused by this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You! That did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem - I am working with Lrc version 12.3. Metadata copyqpaste and sync does not work. Did all the steps described -  still doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which *precise* steps did you do? And are you in Grid view or Loupe view? If you have multiple displays, is Grid view or Loupe view showing on the *main* display?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I hope you are still there...
​On my home PC I don't have any problem copy pasting or synchronizing metadata. The problem exists on my laptop only.
Both in loop and grid view. Neither copy paste metadata nor synchronize metadata works on my PC. On my PC, im am using sometimes 2 screens, sometimes one screen without any problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide an exact step-by-step sequence that is failing: 

- Is the laptop connected to an external display when it's failing?

- Are you in Library or Develop?

- Are you in Grid view (multiple thumbnails) or Loupe view (one photo showing)?

- Which command are you using -- Copy/Paste Settings or Sync Settings, chosen from the top menu bar, from right-clicking the filmstrip, or from the buttons just above the filmstrip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A full-resolution screen recording (not a phone video) could also help provide all those details, showing the precise problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the laptop is NOT connected to an external display.

I am in Library , not in Devolp

I tried both, Grid and Loupe view

I tried both, Copy/Paste and Sync from the buttons kust above the filmstrip (NOT Sync Settings, I need to copy metadata, not settings)

It is the same workflow as on my home PC, where everything is working fine with the same version of Lrc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No multiple view on my laptop. Neither copy past or synchronize metadata
works. Problem occurs ONLY on my laptop, my home pc does not have any
problem copying or synchronizing metadata

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I face the same issue since 11.2 (now on 11.3.1 [ 202204181225-f90ebff5 ]). Not only doesn't copy&paste work, managing IPTC data has become a nightmare to work with. For example entering IPTC Description in Grid View, changing to next photo and going back, the previously entered text is not showing up. But: exporting to a JPEG shows the IPTS data!! And it doesn't make a huge difference whether files are stored on NAS or locallly, maybe it's a tad faster the LR UI gets updated with the IPTC data stored to the file. Using XMP has no influence either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"entering IPTC Description in Grid View, changing to next photo and going back, the previously entered text is not showing up. But: exporting to a JPEG shows the IPTS data!!"

Your symptoms may not be identical to the original poster's.  But they are similar to a whole bucket of symptoms where metadata changes are made in the catalog and appear in exported photos but don't always appear in the Metadata panel.

Do the fields you're pasting contain double-quotes by any cha

nce?

For most everyone (but not all) who have reported similar symptoms, the two workarounds have been successful:

- Setting the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

- Rolling back to LR 11.2.

Adobe has acknowledged the various bug reports, so they'll likely be fixed in the future. LR releases about every eight weeks, so we might expect to see LR 11.4 in the next week or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

No, no quotes whatsoever, just alphanumeric characters, some periods, colons and a copyright symbol. And as I stated earlier, it doens't make any difference whether I use XMP or not. 

I'd like to avoid rolling back to 11.2 cause I'm sure the issues were the same back then. I'll rather wait for this issu(s) to be fixed, better sooner than later.

Cheers,

Stefan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines