Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy-Paste is not working in Batch Renaming Dialog

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

in my daily workflow I often have to rename a batch of images by appending a special location or animal name to the filename. In the batch rename dialog I use Edit... and then {Filename>>} - MyPhrase (the wording may be a bit different, I use a German LRC). I copy MyPhrase in case of a location from a Google maps webpage, in case of an animal from my LR keywords and paste it directly into the Batch Renaming Dialog (I copy it before opening the dialog). This worked for me the last 15 years with LR for windows. Now that I'm switching to MacOs this no longer works. The Batch Renaming Dialog does not accept any Paste-Command. 

Cheers,

Rudi

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the same. Copied text will not paste in the File Rename Editor panel.

But an easier work-around is this- (and you never need to edit the Rename Preset!)

Create the Preset with a {Custom Text} field (instead of trying to Copy&Paste)

2022-04-13 08_53_19-Lightroom Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

Then when you rename a file (by pressing F2) and choosing the FILENAME-CUSTOM preset, you can paste your copied text in the Custom field-

2022-04-13 08_52_08-Lightroom Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the filename template each time will work, but an alternative is to paste the desired text into some standard metadata field instead - such as, Caption. This is equally useful so far as searching for images, making Smart Collections etc, within the Catalog. But then if you want to rename files, you can do so using always the same filename template. This template can be applied to many images, and will make use of whatever text is in the (e.g.) Caption of each image.

But as a more general comment, given that you can enter this text in a metadata field, that field could be used directly in the filenaming of any future exports. This means the image file itself may not need to be renamed. Leaving camera files unaltered for their name and location, after their import, is in my opinion the more robust and preferable approach. Practically, data backup is then more efficient. Another consideration is virtual copies. By using metadata you can vary the text that each one shows, and so distinguish these versions. Maybe (say) you've virtually cropped out photos representing different animals, from one captured original frame. All such virtual copies of an image, must share and show the same filename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all,

this workarond works perfect.

However I found a similar topic in this forum from 2009 and I do not understand why Adobe is not able to implement the default behaviour in this dialog panel after such a long time.

regards

Rudi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines