• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying masks in Lightroom Classic

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an interesting problem with AI masking where it will past the mask of the previous photo over the new one. When you delete the mask and try to make a new one the A.I. will again paste the old mask. 

This has been persisting since the first time the feature came out. 

My system: 

Lightroom Classic version: 12.1 [ 202212072312-d7ab524b ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 13
Version: 13.2.0 [22D49]
Application architecture: arm64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: NA
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 16,384.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16,384.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1,023.5 MB (6.2%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 424,122.3 MB
Memory cache size: 480.1MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 15.1 [ 1329 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 1467MB / 8191MB (17%)
Camera Raw real memory: 1570MB / 16384MB (9%)
Standard Preview Size: 3840 pixels
Displays: 1) 3840x2160

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: Apple M1
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: Auto

Application folder /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path /Users/jjmacmini/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Catalog-v12.lrcat
Settings Folder /Users/jjmacmini/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) Flickr
4) Loupedeck2
5) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Ok, I see.

It is possible for LrC to "remember" and use the previous copied/synced selected settings and not the currently checked ones...it's a rare misfire.

You can do the following.

In the copy/sync dialog window "Check None" EVEN if you have not checked Masking.

Then thick again the settings you want to copy/sync and click the Copy/Sync button.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When does Lightroom paste that mask? All by itself, or do you paste it? Can you describe in more detail what you do?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't paste the mask, I copy my settings and even exclude the mask in the copy options. Then paste my settings and the mask is pasted regardless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ever tried to reset the preferences? https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tried that, and I don't see how it would fix this problem. If I reset my settings and say that fixes the problem, wouldn't me eventually returning to my original setting reproduce the problem? Also I don't want to have to go through and reset everything in my workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have not tried that, and I don't see how it would fix this problem."

LR stores a lot more than the user's explicit settings in its preferences file, and it sometimes corrupts the file due to a longstanding software design flaw. The corrupted file can cause all sorts of flaky behavior. There are hundreds of posts here over the years where resetting the preferences file fixes the problem.

See here for how to reset the preferences file and save/restore a backup copy in case resetting doesn't help:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

If resetting doesn't help, please describe precisely the steps you are taking -- a screen recording would be best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC actually reuses the Ai masks/seletions in each photo.

All Sky, Subject, People, Background masks in a photo are (at least now) identical to the first one created on that photo.

e.g

Create Sky 1

Create Sky 2

Sky 2 is actually a duplicate of Sky 1

If a photo already has a computed/calculated Ai then that Ai mask/selecton will be re-used.

So the algorithm, the Machine Learning produces only 1 selection of each Ai type for each photo (not Objects)

The only way to paste/sync a totally different Ai Masks form a photo to another to another is to use Copy Settings plug-in by @johnrellis 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is I'm not trying to paste the mask, just the settings. The mask is being brought in even though the option isn't selected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I see.

It is possible for LrC to "remember" and use the previous copied/synced selected settings and not the currently checked ones...it's a rare misfire.

You can do the following.

In the copy/sync dialog window "Check None" EVEN if you have not checked Masking.

Then thick again the settings you want to copy/sync and click the Copy/Sync button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This actually worked for me! 
Thanks for the work around! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines