• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying recent iteration/updates to catalogue via copy always fail to show update in target Catalog.

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I open a transferred catalog with the corresponding image tree, the catalog on the laptop will be perfect but not show recent updates to the catalog (executed on the desktop, but should be in the transfered, update file).

I can then execute a sync of folders that are missing updates. The coresponing images will then not show any edit history (yikes).

Growing increasing frustraded with trying to maintain 2 identical data bases on 2 computers, LR just cant handle it, although it should be an easy process, via copying the correct files.

I have synching app to maintain the copies but LR just can't  handle the switch of computers. WHY?????

Any help greatly appreciateded

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but not show recent updates to the catalog (executed on the desktop, but should be in the transfered, update file)."

Maybe it is NOT the transferred Catalog that is opening. If there was a pre-existing catalog, perhaps that is the one that opens.  Check "Default Catalog" in the Catalog Preferences!

I can then execute a sync of folders that are missing updates.

Always the wrong thing to do! 'Sync a folder' works like a new import of photos as if they were never in the catalog without edits.

The easiest method to use Lightroom-Classic on two computers is by an external drive with the Catalog and photo files on this drive. Transfer the external drive between computers.

MULTIPLE COMPUTERS- How to use (Lightroom Queen)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would think copying an updated Catalog to anther computer, (already completly familiar with said DB, would update.) Nope. Even researching every ancillary file. LR is very finicky when it comes to updating a DB. Adobe should obviously .support an easy copy/sync procedure. Providing needed support for ppl who need to move their DB to new platform or within platform. Needless complexity. Adobe where are you????

How come it is so complex to move a DB within platforms,  or to another platform ( I suspect income considerations). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This exactly the way I maintain: 

The easiest method to use Lightroom-Classic on two computers is by an external drive with the Catalog and photo files on this drive. Transfer the external drive between computers.

MULTIPLE COMPUTERS- How to use (Lightroom Queen)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates applied in ths database (an updated DB) do not show up on the PC with older files.???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words, copying every appriate file for an update, and you still get a DB on the receiving end that does not reflect updates/changes. I have run into issues with this for last few years.

Coptying a LR DB to anothe computer, (along with all corresponding, presets, prefs, ets,  works ONE time. After that updates to the DB do not show up in target PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unsure exactly what you are trying to accomplish but just wish to point out a Catalog is a singular database base file. You have the option to export from a Catalog and import from a Catalog.

However they cannot sync automatically.

Lightroom Classic can only open and use one Catalog at a time.

Please clarify what you are trying to achieve.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even when DB is perfectly represented, the edit history is lost. I know, and have correctly opened a DB form anothe PC on a new PC, and never had the issues that I am having lately. What is going on with LR?       

If you want to move you current LR DB to an ew PC ( or update anexisting pC) we need a room. This has not been an easy process for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the all the advice.

I'll explain my situation more clearly. I have my main LR Catalogue on my desktop. I make a copy that Cat. (and the relevent ancillary files) on too an external drive. When I travel I use LR on my laptop. The external drive is used on the laptop as the drive where the dedault catalogue is located. At times this has worked flawlessly. But at other times edits made on the desktop catalogue are not reflected on the laptop even though the two catalogues should be exact copies.

Note: All images are synced to the external drive also. I have 25,000 images. The laptop has an SSD drive, hence the external drive, to handle all the images and catalogue, and not monopolize the SSD drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again guys. I got it fixed. I think the issue is my laptop has a recovery partition at Drive D, and my LR cataogue on the desktop is on Drive D. The external drive is Drive I. This confuses lightroom when it opens the catalog on the laptop, from Drive I, the first time.

I solved the problem by deleting LR and all it's prefs, and Registry references. And reinstalling. That is a drastic solution, (but only thing that worked), and I'm guessing there is an easier way to solve this problem. Although just resetting LR prefs had no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines