• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Corrupt catalogue

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something happened overnight (due to an update maybe, I am not sure) but when I came back to the mac in the morning, I had to restart it as there was a message saying that there was not enough RAM or something similar.

After restarting, I cannot seem to be able to open the Lightroom catalogue anymore. it says it is corrupted and repairing it didn't fix (message says "LR encountered problems reading or writing from disk when attempting to repair catalogue").

The Mail also doesn't seem to work (it's asking me to rebuild every mailbox which will take 40 hours). I am not sure what happened but I really need to try and fix this catalogue. The last backup was unfortunately 3 months ago (yes, I should backup more often...I forgot). I saw some solutions using SQL but I am not as computer savvy enough to do the commands properly. Is there not a dumbed down version anywhere on how to do this?

I also can't seem to find anyone from Adobe to help (is there a chat function?).

Any pointers would be appreciated. The catalogue is almost 9GB. I don't want to lose the edits over the last 3 months.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"LR encountered problems reading or writing from disk when attempting to repair catalogue"

This would suggest that your hard drive is starting to go bad. The first thing I would do is use the OS tools to scan the hard drive for bad sectors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will do this as soon as I finish the backup.

I have also managed to contact Adobe support and sending them the damaged catalog file in case it can be fixed. 

The catalog file only contains data? (there are no images or previews, correct?). I read somewhere that the file contains cached or rendered images but I wasn't sure.

https://photographylife.com/lightroom-catalogs-explained  (I thought rendered images would be stored in the previews.)

I have personal family photos and don't wish it to be shared obviously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines