• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Corrupted catalog

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a corrupted catalog.  I've tried several times to repair it but it's been unsuccessful.  Where are images typically stored and are they recoverable?  Last backup was Feb. 5.  Will images uploaded since then be available?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Your images are not stored in the catalog, so they are safe. They are stored where you told Lightroom to store them. What is stored in the catalog is information (metadata) and any edits that you have made. Unzip the catalog backup and replace your catalog files(s) with the backup file(s). Images that were added to the catalog after the backup date will have to be imported again. https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/back-catalog.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

The images doesn't stored in the catalog file. They are already available. If you go back to an older catalog you only lost the categorization by keywords, the development steps for the images that you have imported and worked on since the last backup. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your images are not stored in the catalog, so they are safe. They are stored where you told Lightroom to store them. What is stored in the catalog is information (metadata) and any edits that you have made. Unzip the catalog backup and replace your catalog files(s) with the backup file(s). Images that were added to the catalog after the backup date will have to be imported again. https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/back-catalog.html

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using my catalog back up after my catalog ended corrupted after switching from old to new MacBook Pro. 

But the problem now is that I don't see the previews. I use to be able to see all my photos' preview. Now I only see the previews if the external drive is hooked to my hard drive, and even then, there is a delay. My main issue is that I don't see my previews from any photos that are on other external drives not attached to my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you describe sounds like you (restored from a backup) Catalog and did not have an associated Previews (.LRDATA) file for it.

Then LrC needs to rebuild the Previews file/folder, and to do that it needs the original files connected. Meaning it needs (at some time) all drives with photos connected.

You would be seeing blank grey previews until the originals on a drive are available.

Attach the external Drives and the previews should re-build.

A situation like this happens when Previews cause problems and need re-building.

PREVIEW CACHE ERRORS

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, thank you. I'll try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images doesn't stored in the catalog file. They are already available. If you go back to an older catalog you only lost the categorization by keywords, the development steps for the images that you have imported and worked on since the last backup. 

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines