Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Corrupted Tiff files

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I just had the problem occure already twice on two different systems.

Lightroom corrupted my Photoshop TIFFs, nobody know why, at least the first time I shut down and closed all softwares properly, the SSD seems to be in good health condition, the only difference was that I opened it once on a mac and once on a Windows and that there was an Camera Raw update.

Anyone experienced something similar and know how to prevent something like that from happening? 

I'm really afraid now of using Lightroom Classic ever again tbh. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software such as Lightroom Classic cannot corrupt your files. File corruption almost always is due to hardware malfunction somewhere. In your case, it could be the hard disk where the photo is stored that is malfunctioning, or it could be the memory chips in one of your computers has a malfunction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But then I dont understand, I had a photoshop Tiff file opened, saved it, opened the Lightroom catalog, it crashes and then multiple Tiff files are corrupted? On two different Machines, but on the same SSD, so it COULD still be the SSD, but all Health Mangement Softwares I tried told me that the Sandisk SSD is in perfect condition. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have correct stated, this isn't a LR issue. You have a drive issue that needs fixing ASAP. Your drive isn't in prefect condition (or your drive is OK, your cable(s) or something else is faulty). 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have any recommendations on how to test or fix the drive? Would be a great step if I would know for certain that there is something wrong with the SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have any recommendations on how to test or fix the drive? Would be a great step if I would know for certain that there is something wrong with the SSD.

By @DJI-Fred

On a Mac, you can at least start with Disk Utility (although there are other products that are more powerful) You may need to back up the drive and reformat it. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just googled a bit and found CrystalDisk Checker, will check with that Programm again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But then I dont understand, I had a photoshop Tiff file opened, saved it, opened the Lightroom catalog, it crashes and then multiple Tiff files are corrupted?

hard disk malfunction explains this

On two different Machines, but on the same SSD, so it COULD still be the SSD, but all Health Mangement Softwares I tried told me that the Sandisk SSD is in perfect condition. 

By @DJI-Fred

I don't know what Health Management Softwares does to check your disk. You need to scan for bad sectors on the hard disk, and any other problems as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checked for Bad Sectors and used multiple Software that check Drives for errors, none, that SSD is as good as new 😮 Dont know if that rules it out as the culprit but yeah...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now check your RAM, Fred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uhm it happened on 2 different Systems (one Mac one Windows) but sure, cant hurt, do you have any Names I can google for? XD How can I check the RAM? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How can I check the RAM? 

https://www.google.com/search?q=ram+tester

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I've already heard that Lightroom corrupted some Raw files while saving Metadata, and someone from support team told me that removing XMP Files can also cause your files to corrupt. 
I wasnt aware this is possible, I always thought Lightroom would be a totaly non destructive way of editing your raw pictures, but it seems I was wrong (if its really not the SSD)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I've already heard that Lightroom corrupted some Raw files while saving Metadata, and someone from support team told me that removing XMP Files can also cause your files to corrupt. 

Whoever told you that is spreading nonsense.

I wasnt aware this is possible, I always thought Lightroom would be a totaly non destructive way of editing your raw pictures, but it seems I was wrong (if its really not the SSD)

There are no functions in Lightroom Classic that write to the image portion of your original files. So, Lightroom Classic cannot be the cause of a file corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As DJ suggests, it can't be LightRoom - it'll be hardware. It's always hardware

As to suggestions - yeah: let's see an example. nobody can "prevent that from happening" again if we don't know that "that" actually is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But then I dont understand, I had a photoshop Tiff file opened, saved it, opened the Lightroom catalog, it crashes and then multiple Tiff files are corrupted? 

First question probably should be why did LrC crash.

some inquirys related to that:

• Did you have LrC running, then selected to edit in PS, make your edits in PS, then save, and returned to LrC, but LrC crashed?

or

• Did you do the previous, but selected Close instead of save

or

• Did you with LrC not running, edit some photos in PS, then started LrC?

and

• What hard drive is your catalog on
  • What hard drive are those photos on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uff....Good questions, hard to remember, but usually I open the TIFF files THROUGH my LR Catalog then do my editing in Photoshop safe the file and then close Photoshop. Since I was basically going through files checking what was working and what wasnt (since I've had the first corrupted data the day before) its hard to remember what happend. But what I know is that during the first "Corruption" nothing changed. I saved the files closed Photoshop, then closed Lightroom even did an integrity check and a backup. Then turned off the computer. Next day I opened the same LR Catalog and its telling me its corrupt and it tries to repair it. It tries to repair, fails. I open a Backup from 3 days ago (since the last backup also was corrupt) and there I noticed that a lot of TIFF files were corrupted. 

Both, LRC Catalog and the Raw Files are on an external Sandisk SSD (Health is good, has 0 bad sectors) 

Also had a long phone call with the Adobe support and they were very confused as well and couldnt really help or tell me what could've happened. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines