• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not copy a file to the destination folder because it is not writable. (54)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'v been struggling with this issue for some time now. Anythime I import photos directly to my computer no issue but trying to import them to my external hard-drive, it gives me the same message every time.

Lightroom is fully updated on my computer 

I'v tried uninstalling and reinstalling 

I tried a brand new external hard drive that didn't make a difference

I'v been using different work arounds and i'm sick of it and just want to how how to fix the issue 

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 8.00.05 AM.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never had this issue when I had my canon 7d

After I switched to my sony a7riii is when the issue began

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you go into the Import dialog box, you determine the EXACT Destination folder selected, and you change the permissions on this EXACT folder so that you have write permission.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried what you said and nothig changed its continuing to give me the same message 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried what you said and nothig changed its continuing to give me the same message 

By @Christian26683832fyey

Show us a screen capture of the Import dialog box so we can read the folder chosen in the Destination Panel. Show us another screen capture of your operating system showing the permissions on the folder chosen in the Destination Panel.

Please use the "Insert Photos" icon to include your screen captures in your reply. Do NOT attach files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 11.24.26 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this what you're asking for? Sorry if i'm not fully understanding what you're asking for, i'm not super computer literate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's one of the screen captures. Now I want to see the permissions in your operating system for this folder 2022/2022-10-20, which you earlier said you changed to have write permission.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 11.40.03 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see the part of my message where I named the specific folder that you are trying to write the photos to? I want to see the permissions on that exact folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I guess i'm not quite understading, how do I get to that specific folder? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're your folders, I can't tell you where to find them, other than look on your hard disk(s).

But then you obviously didn't check the permissions on that folder, even though you implied you did that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any folders on that hard drive, its brand new and I can't get lightroom to import anything onto it. Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 2.22.57 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to reformat the hard drive! Macs cannot write to NTFS drives out of the box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for Nothing 🙂 @dj_paige 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you have given Lightroom full disk access per the instructions here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'v done this still no change

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is the external drive formatted? If it is NTFS (like most external hard drives come out of the box) than this is to be expected. Mac OS X can read NTFS but not write to it. Most external hard drives need to be reformatted first to use them with mac os X. There are commercially available drivers that allow mac os X to write to NTFS disks but they tend to break every time you update mac OS X so it is safer to just first reformat the disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is formated to ntfs what is a better format option?

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 11.35.59 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macs cannot natively write to NTfS disks. It should be HFS extended if it is a spinning drive or APFS if it is a ssd. You can buy a driver that allows Macs to write to NTFS but you really only need this if you also hook the drive up to a PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude thanks so much! Reformatting the hard drive worked problem solved!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines