Could not create a JPG that met your limit

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to export a lot of photos that are for social media. I don't need (or want) images to exceed 800 kb, but I don't know why I'm not able to export images this size.

I receive error-message sayin that "Could not create a JPG that met your limit .... Please increase the size limit"

I even tried 3500k and 300 ppi but I still receive this message and this size is way too big because there are over 100 photos that my client needs to download to the mobile phone in order to upload them in Instagram.

Original photo is raw-file (CR3), that I have edited. 

Please find here information: 

- MacOS Catalina 10.15.7.

- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC, Version 8.2.1, Camera Raw 11.2.1

Please find couple screenshots and please let me know if I can provide any other information or if I need to do some extra adjustments. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to reduce the pixel dimensions to something sensible, like 2000 or 1500 pixels on the long side.

Check Resize to fit, and enter pixel dimensions for Long Edge.

I don't use Instagram, but I would have thought that they have recommendations for pixel dimensions.

And the PPI value is irrelevant for screen viewing, it only comes into play when printing.

image.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll try this one. 

Thought this is weird because I've never had to do this before and I have exported a lot of photos from Lightroom earlier 🙂 For some reason these images just aren't possible to export under 4MB. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO the specification for any export needs to be considered fully, and not just controlled for one aspect.

What's the specific usage - what are the practical requirements of that - what is the 'sweet spot' number of pixels in particular, to fit those requirements. As Goldilocks discovered, [more than needed] can be just as problematic, as [less than needed] can be 😄  

So given that appropriate number of pixels wide and high, and choosing a sensible JPG quality setting, what is the file size resulting with a typical image. Then you fine-tune and road-test the specification from there, then - I suggest - save that into a named export preset for easy repeatability.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree! Especcially only considering filesize is a very bad idea and gives you no control at all of the resulting quality of your image. Define the requirements (filetype, pixel-size, quality) for the specifc use you have in mind. If the resulting filesize is about what you expected, OK. If it come out larger, so be it... And remember: for a different use, you should export again, with the changed requirements for that usage.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For facebook: longest edge 2048 pixels, Instagram: width 1080 pixels. Use jpeg quality 70-75% and you will stay under 800kB easily!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have been given good advice by @Ruurd van Dijk  and @richardplondon .

The file size of a jpg depends on three factors – pixel dimensions, quality setting and image content.

Image content can have a huge influence on file size.

Images with lots of sharp, busy detail (or noise) do not compress well, and will have a relatively large file size.

Images with predominantly flat or smooth areas do compress well, and will have a relatively small file size.

The two images below were exported at 2048 pixels width, with quality set to 85.

The first one is six times larger than the second one because of the content.

_dsf7592.jpg

File size 2.7 megabytes

_dsf7710.jpg

File size 447 kilobytes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines