• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cr/LrC: Apple ProRaw issue

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing an issue when importing apple pro raw in LrC.

Before doing any regulation, I can see a dark blue artefact on the edges that are on the sky backgound, see the picture below. The same is not showing on the same picture when I open it within the apple photo app. I cannot figure out why that happens.Schermata 2021-08-30 alle 19.22.24.png

This post’s title has been edited for clarity and search-ability. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rikk,

my LrC version is 10.4 [ 202108071231-af9219b9 ], I have a creative cloud licence.

I confirm that the same artifact is present in Camera Raw as well.

See attached a close up on the same file, from both camera raw and apple foto.

Thanks,

AntonioSchermata 2021-08-31 alle 11.15.45.pngSchermata 2021-08-31 alle 11.17.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try tunring on "Remove chromatic aberration" in the lens corrections section. If I understand what you are talking about, this looks like chromatic aberration of the lens that is by default automatically corrected in Photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before posting about this issue I did try to use "Remove chromatic aberration" in the lens corrections section, but did not get any improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moreover, within LrC at the Lens Correction Section, I read the note the the lens profile which is embedded with the file has been automatically applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the CA button doesn't work (this is not part of the automatic lens correction), you have to use the defringe button in manual lens correction and select the cyan fringing you see here. Basically you use the little eye dropper and click on the fringe area and it will remove that. The lenses in small cameras often have a lot of fringing such as this that it is not fixed by the normal CA removal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even using the suggested defringe procedure the problem is not fixed. I used the eye dropper on the wrong edge, but no big correction occurred. The artifact remains pretty visible. 

It seems to me that something wrong happens when importing of the Apple Pro Raw file.

In the two picture attached you will see the embedded preview (with no artifact) available in Library mode, but as soon as I switch to Develop mode, the artifact shows up before doing any other action. Then, if I use the defringe actions no big change occurs.

Schermata 2021-09-03 alle 14.16.48.pngSchermata 2021-09-03 alle 14.17.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After investigating this issue at great depth, I don't think it's the import process that has created problems like fringing and seriously overprocessed DNGs (and JPEGs).  

ProRAW is not a real RAW file, because Apple's DNG *processes sensor data* from multiple images. I believe the fringing was occurring after the release of ProRAW but before Adobe had developed a DNG (v 1.6) to accommodate Apple's new thing. I have a prime example of it over at r/smartphonephotowx on Reddit.

At 1:44 in this video, https://youtu.be/L9SLc7NTbeE?t=104 is an explanation of Adobe adapting its open-source DNG file format to accommodate the new ProRAW.

For more on why the name ProRAW is misleading, this article, the video, and the podcast (yes, all 3) finally get to the bottom of things…at least for me. https://kirkville.com/apples-new-proraw-photo-format-is-neither-pro-nor-raw/   

Long-time analog photographer, now fully digital.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines