• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crash during Subject Detection for Masking

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic crashes often during Subject Detection for Masking. After the crash, if I restart Lightroom and immediately try to perform the same action, then it usually doesn't crash. So, the issue sems to be related to some internal Lightroom application logic rather than a setting on my Windows 11 PC. This occurs even if I have the Graphics Processor option turned off.

Is this a known issue that is under investigation? Everytime it crashes I allow the PC to submit the crash report to Microsoft; are these reports being forwarded to Adobe?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LrC, click on Help, click on System Info, copy and paste the section on the display, interested in GPU driver

Displays: 1) 2560x1440
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info: 
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (31.0.15.1694)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Displays: 1) 1920x1080
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (31.0.101.2111)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Intel UHD Graphics 630 is five years old, and Intel has moved its driver support to a "legacy support model" which "will only include critical fixes and security vulnerabilities."

LR's use of the graphics processor to execute the AI models for Select Subject/Sky pushes the GPU in ways much different than gaming, video processing, and other kinds of image editing, and it's tripped over lots of bugs in graphics drivers, especially older ones.

But given that the 630 is five years old and in Intel's "legacy support model", it could well be that the likely driver bug you're encountering won't ever get fixed by Intel.

If Select Subject/Sky obeyed the setting of Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor, then you wouldn't be encountering this problem.  My testing shows that Select Subject/Sky takes a fair bit longer without the use of a GPU (e.g. 6 seconds instead of 1.5 seconds), but that's still quite useful.

Unfortunately, Adobe hasn't implemented the feature request to obey the preference setting:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-select-sky-and-select-subject-should-obey-p...

In another thread, a senior Adobe engineer claimed that the third-party libraries LR uses didn't support that, but he was mistaken.  

Please add your constructive opinion to that feature request and be sure to click the Upvote button at the top-right and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a tiny bit more likely that Adobe will consider implementing the feature and you'll be notified when they do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That is very useful information. One main reason why I haven't added an external graphics card is for the expected stability of the mainline Intel driver on an Intel chip.

I don't want to spend money on a graphics card; nor do I want to upgrade my CPU/motherboard just to get Lightroom to be more stable. I will add my vote to the request to obey the preference setting.

Considering that I am paying Adobe every month for their product, I would certainly expect that they address this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the issue sems to be related to some internal Lightroom application logic rather than a setting on my Windows 11 PC."

To build on GoldingD's reply, crashes in Select Subject/Sky are usually caused by bugs in older graphics drivers. Others have reported that the errors can be intermittent, which is a typical symptom of bugs in general and bugs in graphics drivers in particular.

Updating your driver to the latest version provided on the manufacturer's web site usually fixes these errors. If that doesn't help, then post the output from Help > System Info as recommended by GoldingD.

"This occurs even if I have the Graphics Processor option turned off."

Unfortunately, Select Subject/Sky use the GPU regardless of the setting Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor.  Adobe has ignored requests to make the commands obey that setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the Intel software, I am on the latest drive version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I too have been experiencing intermittent crashes of this kind for some months - ie. since before v.12. Thankyou to those here who have suggested a graphics card driver issue might be to blame. This has prompted a driver update (NVIDIA - incidentally their GeForce Experience app is tremndously helpful.) Remains to be seen whether this solves the problem!

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you test this using Adobe Camera Raw and confirm a crash? That would be useful to know and report to both teams if so. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime it crashes I allow the PC to submit the crash report to Microsoft; are these reports being forwarded to Adobe?

No, but do you also get an Adobe or Lightroom crash report? A dialog screen may appear asking if you want to send it to Adobe.

Other members: Am I incorrect on that? Specifically an Adobe error screen showing up. And where can the author look for the crash report? Also, as the author does have a current driver, is this not actually a bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only do I have the current driver, but I am using the on-board CPU graphics processor; nothing exotic.

I may be wrong. I just had another crash. The prompt was for Adobe to receive the crash report. And, as always, I do allow the report to be sent.

This issue didn't seem to occur until sometime within the past couple of months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This issue didn't seem to occur until sometime within the past couple of months."

You could try rolling back the graphics driver to an earlier version. A couple people have reported here successfully doing that with drivers from other vendors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue didn't seem to occur until sometime within the past couple of months

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the Intel software, I am on the latest drive version

kodi nox 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And your computer is a laptop/notebook, not a desktop, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it is a Desktop utilizing an Intel i7-9700K CPU, with 32GB of DRAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, a desktop, meaning card slots. Why no actual descreate graphics processor? Evan a low mid range one would be better. Why dependent upon a low end integrated video control? Something from NVIDIA or AMD.

Had you a laptop, without a GPU you would be SOL, but a desktop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looiked at the minimum recommended graphics specs for Lightroom to make full use of; the cost would have been at least couple of hundred dollars. Yes, I can purchase a graphics card, but the cost/benefit of that makes no sense to me as a non-professional user, especially when Lightroom does not require one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Minimum requirements for LrC does not necessarily mean all features work. Adobe documentation is a bit poor at this. But unlike members who went for a low end laptop with only a integrated video controller, or perhaps a on board GPU that was bottom tier, and they cannot replace either, you are in luck, as you can, if desired, change that lack of a GPU. (changing to a GPU might not fix your issue however)

I think it would be better, if a few of the more capable members step in to this observation. I could be off.  I inquired about desktop vs laptop on a hunch, a what if.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines