Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crash of LR Classic v11 with large sized catalog

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Team,

I have been sending a couple of crash reports of well, but I add it here as well, as others might have the same issues.

In the crash report I forgot to mention that I reinstalled LR Classic as well 2 times without keeping the original preferences and made a deep clean, which did not make a difference. Also I recognized, after reinstalling LR Classic again, it seemed to work with the 'original v11 updated' catalog, but after optimizing the catalog (which I thought would help) it crashed immediately during the needed restart in LR Classic.

Windows 10 21H1

RAM 16 GB

Nvidia Geforce 940MX (2GB) and Intel HD graphics 620

Here we go with the original crash report text:

LR CC version 11 keeps crashing when trying to import an existing catalog which is automatically readjusted to -v11 by LR, sometimes when starting sometimes after a a couple of minutes.
My catalog is quite heavy with 119125 files created with smart objects preview, original files stored on different hard/SSD drives. I store the metadata as well in XMP files. I updated my graphics driver (Nvidia Geforce 940MX - unfortunately only Game driver available, released 26.10.21 - it says it has been optimized for LR and LR Classic).

However I also tried to deactive the GPU settings, which did not help. I deactivated the automatic metadata writing into XMP files and into JPEG, TIFF, PSD etc., deactivated all plugins, no automatic adress searching, no face detection - still crashed. Also I tried to import the automatically new created catalog v11 in a completely new LR v11 cat - also the same problems. I tried to move to a faster SSD drive, same - also crashing. It seems to run a litte bit longer when all external drives with the original files are connected, but after a couple of minutes LR CC again crashes.
Update of Camera RAW 14 and PS v22 seem to work well, also with the updated graphic card driver, even the updated version of Premiere Pro seems to detect and accept the new version of the graphic card driver(which it did not before), although I have not been working in Premiere Pro, just installed new version and start up.

New catalog files seem to work, but of course only tested in much smaller size (just a couple of 100 files) as I still hope to get my original cat working 🙂

Thanks for your help.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've reviewed the email address you use with this forum and find no crash reports in our system.

Did you see a crash dialog?

Do you use a different email address when filling out the crash report?

Was the crash dialog Adobe, Microsoft or Apple?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx Marcel, I had seen that thread before, and tried deactivating the automatic xmp file writing, but I did not delete the preferences afterwards, it seemed that LR was still trying to write the xmp files in the background, which caused the crash and freezing again.

So deactivating the automatic xmp synchronization, deleting the preference files and .lock file and and starting up the catalog again is at least a workaround - which seems to be working, although I'm not happy with that solution as it does not really meet my workflow.

I recognized that LR v11 has problems to batch synchronize the metadata (also manually when more then one file is selected), only manual single update is working. So I hope that this will be fixed soon 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Team,

This part of the Lightroom Classic forum, called "Discussions" is not the Adobe team, we are just other Lightroom Classic users who discuss the software. If you have a bug, you should place it in the "Bugs" part of the forum, not here, and the Adobe staff will see it and respond.

Side comment: please do not assume that the crash is caused by a large catalog, there are many possible reasons for crashes, and most of them are not due to the size of your catalog (which isn't really that big anyway).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware of that, I actually placed in the bugs forum when I posted it, not sure why it is showing up in 'discussion' - however I cannot not move it afterwards.

I recognized that there are larger catalogues, when starting a new smaller one, I don't have any problems, that is why I mentioned it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recognized that there are larger catalogues, when starting a new smaller one, I don't have any problems, that is why I mentioned it.

Regardless, it is a mistake to think that the problem must be the size of the catalog; there are many other reasons why Lightroom Classic might crash. In fact, I am not aware of crashes due to the size of the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I say: 120k pictures is not nothing, but by no means a big catalogue.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstalled LR Classic as well 2 times without keeping the original preferences and made a deep clean

A corrupt preference file will survive normal uninstalls, reinstalls, updates, and upgrades. Not sure if it will survive a full Creative Cloud cleanup tool.

You may want to consider resetting the preference file anyway.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lu_en/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Also, your GPU, NVIDIA, curious as to the driver version, however, consider using the NVIDIA GeForce Experience app to update the driver, select custom for install type as to force a clean install, this will get rid of any old crud left behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx GoldingD for pointing out the manual reset of the preference file, at least LR is running now. It seems that the automatic xmp synchronization is currently not working, which I already tried to deactivate without positive result, but deleting the preference file is needed for stopping the already running background process. Still a workaround, but at least not freezing and crashing anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see the Metadata section in what is new:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new.html

• Earlier, every single edit in Develop Module was saved into XMP. With these enhancements, edits will be saved into XMP only after active image selection changes.
  • Now, the XMP will be saved automatically as soon as there is any change in the metadata of an image. The progress bar of saving an XMP will be displayed in the Activity Center.
  • You can pause saving the XMP from Activity Center. This option is available only when Automatically write changes into XMP option is enabled in the Catalog Settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thx again for the information, I missed that there have been changes on the metadata settings on this.

However, after playing around a bit with the new settings, this does not solve my problem. I actually only use LR for keeping track of the location of my files on external drives, previews with smart preview, rating and maybe keywords, no heavy use of developing in LR. Also I'm usually changing the files one by one and not hundreds or thousands. I'm usually editing in Camera RAW after a raw selection in LR, viewing the selection made in LR in Bridge.

Also when I try to synchronize the metadata for keywords or the rating only - just for a couple of files, it is causing an error when selecting more than one file and it needs hands on again, sometimes a couple of files are working, sometimes only single ones.

Maybe LR is trying to get all XMP data synchronized from my external drives (from the Camera RAW developments)?

It might be caused by my 'strange' workflow prefering Camera RAW for editing, but I think there is a bug in these new features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A mí tampoco me funciona.  Se queda bloqueado, según dice la ventana, "leyendo preferencias...":pile_of_poo::pile_of_poo:

Tengo una suscripción de pago, pero me estoy preguntando.  Â¿Realmente merece la pena seguir pagando si tengo ya dias sin que me funcione...?  Me abandonan con este problema...!  Legalmente, pagué para usar sus servicios, y no están cumpliendo; lo peor: que parece que no les importara... 😔:pile_of_poo::pile_of_poo:😡😡

Captura de pantalla 2021-11-07 a las 13.07.23.png

 

Captura de pantalla 2021-11-07 a las 13.13.55.png

 

Captura de pantalla 2021-11-07 a las 13.14.09.png

 

Captura de pantalla 2021-11-07 a las 13.14.22.png

 

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@skeastudiosPlease put your crash situation in a new thread, not in this thread, where someone else is trying to get help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines