• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create date from Photoshop Elements 14 seems not to be migrated

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported Photoshop Elements Organizer 14 catalog to Lightroom Classic 11.5. MacOS 12.5 and 12.6. It appears to have worked fine except eg Create date. In PSE, I have modified date (and time) for example for scanned photos. But I cannot find that modified Create date in LrC. When I open same jpg-file I first Save metadata to file from PSE 14, I find the modified Create date. But same jpg-file after Save metadata to file from LrC does not have the date.

Attachment: Part of the jpg-file from PSE 14 where xmp: CreateDate="1974" is shown.

Is this a known issue?

Any method to solve it?

Would it work better if I first get a newer version of PSE? (but I don't think my machine can manage PSE 2022)

Any other proposal?

(Maybe I should depending on answers report as a bug)

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"But same jpg-file after Save metadata to file from LrC does not have the date."

"Save...to file.."  would not bring metadata FROM the PsE catalog TO the Lightroom catalog.

I would suggest a "Read metadata FROM file" might get Capture date into Lr.

My experience is with Adobe Bridge, where Keywords added to images in Bridge can be added to the Lr Catalog by "Read metadata" from files. So just guessing at an answer.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't write so clearly what I did.

First, I imported the PSE catalog(s) to LrC. So photos are imported.

Then I have Saved to file/sidecar from LrC.

I have compared this saved file with the earlier version I saved from PSE, before importing catalog to LrC.
PSE will not write everything to file, not at least face tag areas.

If I add a read metadata from file, I am afraid that will overwrite data already in the database, so eg face tags disappear.

But maybe it works, can be something to try on a single photo.

Thanks for suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Would it work better if I first get a newer version of PSE?"

I tested this myself:

1. I installed Photoshop Elements 2022 (PSE20).
  2. I imported my catalogs from PSE14 to PSE20.
  3. I checked a few photos after the import and it appear to be correct in PSE20.
  4. I start LrC 11.5 and create a new catalog.
  5. I import the PSE20 catalogs into this new LrC catalog.

When I study a few examples, the result seems to be same when I import from PSE20 as it was for PSE14. Eg when I in PSE14 have changed date for a scanned photo to "1974" or "?", those dates are not migrated into LrC catalog, nor exported from LrC at action Save metadata to file.

So, like suggested by Rob Cullen, maybe the only/best method (beside manual work) is to write metadata to file in PSE and then import metadata from file in LrC, and hopefully LrC will work so metadata from catalog migration and file import will merge in a desirable way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So now I have done one test more to find an answer to my own questions.

Starting point: LrC catalogs are created by import of catalogs from PSE20 (I am sure I get same result if I check my imported catalog from PSE14).

Test objects: Two jpg photos originally created by an Epson scanner.

I open PSE14 and Save metadata to fil.

I open LrC 11.5 and Read metadata from file.

Result: The "old" metadata still exist in LrC, but still I cannot find any trace of the modified create date from PSE14 (one of the file had create date =1974 and the other ?/empty.

I repeat the process above but from PSE20.

Result: Same as above.

Comparison: At the same time, I have done the same read process in digiKam. I had first populated digiKam with data file data from LrC. DigiKam actually read the create date from the PSE14 as well as PSE20 files! For unknown reason, I find it in the XMP part for one of the photos and in EXIF for the other. I will not go into further details here in this LrC forum.

Remark: I have only investigated two scanned photos. I have not investigated how modified date and time eg adjusted for time zone etc on digital photos, or scanned tiff, etcetera are migrated from from PSE to LrC.

With this follow up answer, I will probably not report any more trials with LrC. Still, if anyone has more info, it is of course of interest if shared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines