Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

D780 RAW - LR Classic Version 6.0 - Camera Raw

Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community.

I have been using LR Classic 6.0 for many years and it appears that I have hit the end of the line now for support of NEF files with the D780.

I thought I could download Camera Raw and cheat my fate, but somehow after I install Camera Raw, LR 6.0 can't find it as a plugin.  

I am a subscriber and the latest version of LR Classic can read the D780 NEF files.  Any thoughts?

One other question.  I remember that when I had a version LR Classic installed a few years ago and used the Auto button in Develop the Saturation and Vibrance changed.  Is that a new feature post LR 6.0?

Thank you all!

Phil

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Common misunderstanding.

• The ACR is a plug-in for Photoshop. Only for Photoshop.
  • The Camera RAW in Lightroom is coding included in the program. Lightroom does not use a RAW Conversion plug-in. Would be nice, but nope.

I am a subscriber and the latest version of LR Classic can read the D780 NEF files.  Any thoughts?

Ok, now that part confuses me, You want to work with old Lightroom pre subscription v6, AND you subscribe to a Adobe Plan?

What particular plan? 

And by LR 6, do you mean the old many years defunct, non supported Lightroom Perpetual? Or are you talking about the Lightroom Ecosystem (Cloud Based)Lr,  currentl v6.1? aka Lightroom Desktop, also Knicknamed LR Cloudy, available via the Adobe Lightroom Plan, or the Adobe Photography Plan.

Now if you are talking about Lightroom Ecosystem (Cloud Based) Lr, then it to does not use a Camera RAW plug-in.

A Nikon D780 needs:

• Lightroom Ecosystem v 3.2
  • Lightroom Classic v 9.3
  • Lightroom Perpetual not supported

per:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html 

If you need to subscribe to an Adobe Plan, consider the Photography plan, not that lousy IMO Lightroom plan, the Lightroom Plan only provided for Lightroom, not Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GoldingD,

I understand how this is confusing.  I have the photography plan now.  I updated to the latest LR Classic about 2 years ago.  It required a reconfiguration of the catalog.  I relied on the Auto function from my old version of LR Classic.  It never changed the vibrance and saturation.  Much to my surprise the new version not only changed those two parameters, but a host of others.  People asked me what happened.  Being color blind (yes, red/green, blue/purple) I was caught blind sided.  It took me 4 hours but I got my old LR back and now, with the help of the community, am using the DNG converter.

Interestingly, I did install the latest version of LR on my laptop and the Auto feature has been dialed by dramatically now.  It barely touches V and S and doesn't adjust other colors.  The latest version imported the D780 NEF files just fine and I am considering moving to the new LR on my desktop.  

I plan to get color blind glasses someday and maybe mRNA robots will fix my eyes....

Thank you for the note!  Happy shooting!

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Auto behavior, as far as I can tell, is also based on the Process Version. You can just set your images to the PV you prefer and stay with the old Auto behavior with a new catalog. IOW, upgrade. 

Of course, there are lots of advantages to the newer PV5 but that's a different discussion. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to stay with version 6.x of LR, you can use the current Adobe DNG converter to convert the D780 NEF files to DNG and then import the DNG files into LR with no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might want to consider Jeffrey’s “Bag-o-Goodies” Lightroom Plugin, specifically the Personalized Auto Tone in that plug-in

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/bag-o-goodies#personalized-auto-tone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines