• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P:(Masking) Permanently toggle off gradient overlay and permanently invert radial gradient

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've installed new Lightroom version 11.0.

When I draw a radial gradiant, the red overlay is now on the inside of the gradient every single time. In previous versions of Lightroom, by default the changes made to the radial gradient were on the outside, or at least, Lightroom would remember the last radial gradient you drew and the next one you would draw would be either inverted or not depending on the previous one you drew. Lightroom no longer remembers the last gradient you drew. I mostly make changes to the outside of the radial gradient, so now every time I draw one I have to invert it. Or is there a way to make it behave like it did before?

Another irritation is the red tool overlays are now always on when you draw them. In previous versions, the tools would remember if you had the overlay turned on the last time you used it. Or you could hover your mouse over the pin to display the overlay. Is there a way to make this behave like it did in the past so that it doesn't automatically show the red overlay every single time? When it displays the overlay I can't see the changes the brush or gradient is applying. I'd rather see my settings being applied so I can tell if it's the desired effect I want. 

I know there are keyboard shortcuts to quickly toggle these things but now I have to do it on hundreds of images over and over. Before I didn't. So this is adding thousads of keystrokes to my workflow. 

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
40 Comments
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to 11 and I have to say the new masking interface will take some getting used to.  One major issue for my workflow is regarding radial filters.  In the past, when I went to apply a new radial filter to a photo the preset I used when applying the last filter would be the starting point to this new filter as well.

That is still the case, except for one major thing.  The invert option is always unchecked for every new radial filter created.  

I use radial filters to apply vignette's to my images so obviously I need the invert box to be checked.  The new interface, with it unchecking every time, really slows this process down.

Is there a a way for radial filters to default to be inverted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you preload your adjustment brushes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean.  I do have a preset "effect" that I select from the dropdown menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select an adjustment brush, and move sliders before clicking on the image, before placing a pin, the brush will be preloaded with this settings for the next time you use the brush.

However, I just tested, and the invert option button, does not get effected by this in my case.

I am not having your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current behavior regarding the persistence or remembering of the default state of the Radial Filter is as designed. It will always default to "Inside" for the effect. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see I missread the original post. My bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see.  It would be nice if it would default to the last used value as in previous versions rather than always to the "Inside."  But thank you for your response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While appreciating that it doesn't fully address the issue described, you might find that tapping the apostrophe ( ’ ) key to toggle the Invert On/Off eases the pain a little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  That has been my workaround for the time being.  It helps.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response, but this is beyond frustrating. I use this constantly and it completely wrecks my workflow. The apostrophe workaround is fine for a day or two, but please add an option for invert to be checked each time we go to use the radial filter. I'm so frustrated right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two issues that I'm hoping there's some way to resolve:

1. Radial filters previously were automatically applied to what was OUTSIDE the filter. I had to check off "invert" to apply it to what was inside it. Now it's the opposite. But I cannot find a way to keep it so that every time I pull up the radial filter, it's already inverted. IS there a way to do this? In the old version of LR, if I made the change before applying a filter, it stayed that way every time. 

2. Along the same line...things like the radial filter, brushes, etc. automatically pulled up my latest selection. So if I used "burn" for a brush, when I pulled up the radial filter, it would come up with burn first. Now when I do that, the next comes up saying "Burn (edited)" but everything now says 0. Is there some way to make this "stick" like it used to? I often use a radial filter on each image in a group and it's becoming a huge pain to always have to select the type AND invert it.

I am on a Windows machine if that helps at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh sorry folks. I thought I clicked on LR Classic and now I see I clicked on CC. I don't know how to move the post and it won't let me delete it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Radial filters previously were automatically applied to what was OUTSIDE the filter.

I disagree, mine have always been inside. Did you perhaps preload your Radial filter to invert? Not sure if you can preload in the new masks, what you used to be able to do was select the brush, and before clicking on the image, adjust sliders, they would then stick. I see some posts on how to get the new mask to stick, so perhaps now an issue.

Ah #2 same issue. Have not tested yet, at bottom of brush panel, an option box on automatic reset, turn that off and see if that helps

One thing to remember, in the previous version, preloading was a way to stick slider settings, but, after you clicked on the photo, after you placed the pin, additional moves of sliders do not stick, just the preload mods stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: #1. Mine definitely was outside the circle automatically. If anything was set up in preferences, I can't find out where. About 99% of the time I apply the filter to what is OUTSIDE the circle, so having to check off invert every single time is really irritating. 

And yes, I liked that it would at least come up with the original settings. So if I was using burn for a radial filter, even if I altered it after, for every photo after that, it would come up with the original burn settings and I wouldn't have to reselect it every time. It's just two extra mouse clicks for each photo (and with tendon issues, the less clicks the better!).

I will check and see if the reset all sliders changes anything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To your first point - it was recenttly confirmed by one of the engineering team that the radial filter is behaving as designed (i.e. inside by default).

To your second point - check that you don't have the new 'Reset sliders automatically' checked (see screenshot below for old behaviour).

BTW, the quick and easy way to invert a mask is to use the apostrophe key '

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok the reset sliders did indeed keep the sliders to whatever is originally selected!

Now if I can just find some way to make the radial filter come up inverted every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I am NOT crazy. I'm looking at an old tutorial that was used in a class I took for using the radial filter.

crysania4_0-1635794069254.png

The dark part that's being applied by the radial filter is OUTSIDE the circle and "invert" is not checked off.

On the new one that I'm using, in the radial filter, it's applying to INSIDE the circle and "invert" is not checked off. 

crysania4_1-1635794220773.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck the Show Overlay option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Another irritation is the red tool overlays are now always on when you draw them. In previous versions, the tools would remember if you had the overlay turned on the last time you used it."

With the mask tool open, uncheck the menu item Tools > Automatically Toggle Overlay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"now every time I draw one I have to invert it. Or is there a way to make it behave like it did before?"

I don't think so, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography , please move this to Ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I have a headache. It was good and simple, now it is difficult and unnecessary. There is Photoshop for this kind of complex processing, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please clarify, otherwise your comment comes off as rude.

Votes

Translate

Translate