Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete files from inside Lightroom

Engaged ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using LR 11.0.1 on Windows 10.

A couple of hours ago I asked the following question. Now I cannot view or retrieve the question.

How do I delete files (photos) from inside Lightroom. I have looke everywhere. All I see is Remove Photo... The Menubar>Photo>Delete Rejected Photos results in a dialog box informing you that you cannot delete rejected photos from a collection set. It suggests that I delete photos from the LR catalog. I cannot figure out how to do that. I have looked everywhere.

Help Help Help. There has to be a way. I older versions you coud do this.

Jim

[please refrain from PII and 3rd party URLs in this area - Moderator]
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

You cannot delete from disk in a collection, only remove them from the collection.

To delete from disk, you have to do it from a folder in the Folders panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

You can also delete from "All Photographs".

Inside a collection, you can use the splat-delete which is Alt-Ctrl-Shift-Delete to delete from the collection and from the hard disk. CAUTION: when you do this, the delete happens immediately, there is no dialog box asking "Are you sure?" Use at your own risk.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot delete from disk in a collection, only remove them from the collection.

To delete from disk, you have to do it from a folder in the Folders panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also delete from "All Photographs".

Inside a collection, you can use the splat-delete which is Alt-Ctrl-Shift-Delete to delete from the collection and from the hard disk. CAUTION: when you do this, the delete happens immediately, there is no dialog box asking "Are you sure?" Use at your own risk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you dj, this is what I am looking for. I do not worry about accidentally deleting the wrong image because I am fully backed up daily. In addition, when I import, I import to DNG but I do not delete my original RAW files. This doubles my hard disk space but has been benificial in many instances since I started using LR from the beginning. I will test this later and let you know if I have any problems. My only issues now are age related. Getting old is not for the timid.

You are always there 🙂

Thank you.

[please refrain from PII and 3rd party URLs in this area - Moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Lots of googling and one (to be fair very helpful) service chat later, I found out that you indeed cannot delete files on the drive from within the collections module. Why???? Please Adobe, implement a delete option inside the collections module. Or at least enlighten me why it shouldn't be there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JHLM We're not Adobe, we are other Lightroom Classic users; we can't modify the program. You ought to place your comment in the "ideas" section where Adobe will see it.

I would be opposed to this feature request. I think the safety provided to users by not allowing this from collections is important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I suggest to use the rejected flag (shortcut "X") to mark the photos to to be deleted while in the collection (you can set a filter to "Pick or Unmark" so the marked rejected photos will disappear from the display.

Then go to "All Photos" and use the Menubar>Photo>Delete Rejected Photos to delete the photos with the rehjected flag from disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines