• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete from Disk as default

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to make the "delete photo from disk" a default when pressing backspace? I use the catalog also to select the photos and I don't want to keep all the originals! It would be ok even if the pre-selected option was the one I want, so that I could just press backspace and then Enter...but now the pre-selected option is remove from catalog. This means that every time I have to use the mouse when choosing which photos to keep. When you have 1000-2000 photos a time it's super annoying!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. LR rightly adopts a cautious approach,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't press Backspace, press 'X'. That marks the photo as Rejected. At the end of the reviewing process, you can then delete all rejected photos at once with a single extra click. Lightroom even has a menu for deleting rejected photos.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, my savior! 😂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 10, 2024 Feb 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree, and I want to see each file I delete at the time I delete it.  I don't want to delete a batch of files, I want the option of setting delete from disk as default as I review each image, period.  I am the customer.  The current system is horrible, I hate it. I have to delete thousands of files every week, and having to wait for a pop up asking me if I really want to delete each file is infuriating.  Just make the mother may I please set up the default, but give us an option to bypass it. 

Same goes for the pop up can't delete that file.  Give me an option to set a delay before that comes up, it is also poor system set up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No way. If that was even possible, there would be an avalanche of complaints from users claiming that Lightroom deleted their files with no warning. If a setting is available, enough people will set it without knowing what they're doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that was even possible? That's a good one.   Pleeeze, don't insult me.  I do this for a living, that's fall off a log easy.

Lightroom is an antiquated program that gets no resources, things like this and a clunky keywording system that can't be user configured to any useful extent drive me nuts.  Pr and Ae at least I can move tabs around and configure my work areas.  They added that 20 years ago.  This program is the red headed stepchild. 

Modern cameras can generate thousands of images in one session, they need to make it easier for professionals to work with them.  I don't want "mother may I" systems.  Nor do I want plug ins, the companies making them come and go like mushrooms after a rain.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you should look somewhere else than Adobe. But really, please enlighten, is there any software anywhere that lets you delete something without asking you to confirm the delete? I am not aware of any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2024 Feb 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@BartonGarrett256 

I'm not trying to insult anyone, sorry about that. I'm just trying to explain why this cannot be an easily accessible default setting. You may want it, knowing the implications - but a large number of users wouldn't. For Adobe, it would most likely backfire in the worst way, and those complaints would be a lot harder to deal with than this one.

You will be asked to confirm a deletion everywhere. For instance, I have a setting on my camera for the "delete" button - and the choices are to confirm once or twice before actually deleting.

Now, @DdeGannes found a workaround for direct delete. Using four fingers, that's intricate enough to ensure you don't do it accidentally.

But what I would do, also suggested above, is to select all those files in Library and delete them all there. With confirmation. If just browsing to reject files, you can color label them first and filter.

The point I'm trying to make is that anything that can happen without the user being fully aware of what's happening, is simply bad UI design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BartonGarrett256 , there is a possibility to do what you wish, however if requires the use of 4 keyword keys as shown in the attached file. This option will remove the selected image / images from your disk, be aware all related functions and data with respect to the images will be removed from Lightroom Classic Catalog including Collections, Virtual copies, Syncd images that depend on the original file. It will be as if the images never existed.

IMG_0015.jpeg

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually select the photos I want to delete, switch to "All Photos" view and delete from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines