• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deleted Files (mainly ARW) Being Stored as "Other" Category Mac Storage?

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running macOS Catalina 10.15.7

LrC -11.5 / CameraRaw -14.5

I just recently began photography as a hobby. I typically am uploading images to my LrC using standard SD card transfer and occasionally tethering directly to my macbook. All my ARW photos are stored in one large folder with many subfolders based on the date of the photos taken. I am backing up very consistently to an external drive and deleting from disk any ARW files that I do not want to keep locally. Upon purging unwanted ARW files, I also empty trash.

I noticed that this is really not mitigating any storage issues, as it *seems* that the deleted ARW files, categorized as "Documents" in mac storage are being somehow converted to the "Other" category in mac storage analysis, which is a bit more of a grey area in terms of what file types they are. But I say *seems* because I can only possibly correlate these deleted ARWs being somehow stored elsewhere on my local disk, even if I've deleted them completely from LrC and seemingly any other visible folder. [see attached screenshot]

The ARWs that I am keeping locally for the time being seem to add up in terms of the "documents" disk space consumed but I am extremely confused by the "Other" category, which is taking up more than half of my 1TB local hard drive at this point. If anyone has any ideas why this might be happening, would appreciate some advice and insight about how to fix this. Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens when you delete files and you are not letting your Mac make TimeMachine backups in the mean time. The other category will shrink if you allow a backup to be made. So check your time machine preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran a pretty massive backup to an external drive but the "Other" portion does not seem to be decreasing at all. If anything it makes small increases unwarranted; I assume due to background activity/caches, etc. Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try using an app like Omni disksweeper (highly recommended) or Grand Perspective to figure out what is taking all this space. Other is a catch all term (in monterey Apple replaced it with the term "system data") for anything it can't categorize. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines