Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

deleting catalog previews lr data

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I've read some posts about deleting catalog previews lr data or the smart previews data. I have a massive problem as mine is taking up 719 gb and my imac is at a standstill. I'm so scared to delete it! I'm halfway through editing a wedding; will all my edits so far be lost? All images are backed up on EHDs. 

Any thoughts? I realise I need a major rethink re how I deal with files going forward. I have been deleting 1-1 previews in collections but makes little difference. 

Many thanks 🙂

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While this is a large number of GBs of previews, I don't believe it has any effect on the speed nor why your iMac is at a standstill. Deleting them would not affect your edits which are stored elsewhere (in the Catalog). 

Have you optimized the catalog recently?

This may help:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting, thank you so much for replying. Atm I cannot even export anything, it's that bad. I haven't ever optimised, I will look at that thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Oz girl wrote:

Atm I cannot even export anything, it's that bad. I haven't ever optimised, I will look at that thanks. 

In System Preferences, >Security & Privacy, >Full Disk Access, do you see Lightroom listed? If not, do add it and try again.
See: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much, will look

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and my imac is at a standstill

Please describe the symptoms in detail. Some speed issues have nothing to do with disk issues.

Also please tell us how much space is free on this disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you it's not much - pic attached 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My web browser is unable to show attachments here in the Adobe forums. Please include your screen captures by clicking on the "Insert Photos" icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now this 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7DB40D94-B070-40E8-8D7D-8FD31D012822.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BB9E1FF7-AF74-4D87-BC4F-7E5957738A12.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the documents that are the biggest at 809 gb but cannot work out what they are?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a disk problem at all. This is a memory problem. How much memory do you have in your computer? Also please provide the version NUMBER of your Lightroom Classic and the version NUMBER of your operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 11.6.7 32gb 9.4 release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is your problem right here, Hard Drive 96.81GB available of 1 TB.

You need at least 20 to 25 % of free disk space for efficient functioning. You are choking your operating system, just my humble opinion.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you so much, yes that is the problem, my issue is can i delete the lightroom preview catalog is seems to be full up with? I've laready deleted all my smart previews and 1-1s?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines