• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deleting RAW file automatically deletes JPEG

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm used to shooting both RAW+JPEG and then keeping JPEGs which don't need extra processing and deleting the original RAW file and working more on RAW files which do need extra processing. After installing a new version of Lightroom (ver. 9.2.1) I found that when I delete a RAW file, the same JPEG file gets deleted as well. I tried checking and unchecking the option "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" but the JPEG files still get deleted once a RAW file is deleted. Is there a way to fix that? I'd like to be able to delete a JPEG/RAW file without one affecting the other. Would appreciate your help. Thank you.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

If you check 'On' the option to "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos", then this will only apply to future 'new' import processes. This means all previous Imports where the JPG is a 'hidden' sidecar file, the JPG will continue to be deleted with the RAW.

If you now check 'On' the option to "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" and IMPORT all the JPG files so they now show in the Library- then you will be able to delete the RAWs and retain the JPGs. (or Visa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you check 'On' the option to "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos", then this will only apply to future 'new' import processes. This means all previous Imports where the JPG is a 'hidden' sidecar file, the JPG will continue to be deleted with the RAW.

If you now check 'On' the option to "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" and IMPORT all the JPG files so they now show in the Library- then you will be able to delete the RAWs and retain the JPGs. (or Visa Versa)

BUT, why? Common advice would be to retain the RAWs only- Export JPGs from the RAWs when needed.

And why are you not up to v10.2?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer.
I'll try that.
The reason I'm not on 10.2 is because I have Windows 7 which is not supported. 
And the reason I want to delete some RAWs, is because they take up a lot of space and I keep only those RAWs which I think are valuable. Which in case of street photography which I'm doing is only 5-10% at best. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what Wobert advised, are you also sure the jpeg files reflect the edits you have performed?

You may wish to do an export from the Raw files to a location of your choice with a small change to the file name and select to "add to this Catalog". Just a thought of something to do before deleting the original raw files.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. 
What Wobert advised worked. After I checked "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" and reimported all the files, deleting one didn't affect the other any longer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Delete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines