Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Develop auto tone sets blacks consistently too low, whites also mostly off

Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

is it just me, or are others experiencing the same?

To me, Develop auto tone sets blacks consistently too low, and mostly the whites too high.

Blacks get way too much clipped, and as such the auto is unusable. 

I thought, long time ago there was an option to change auto tone behaviour and set a percentage to blacks/whites.

- canon 5d mark IV,  adobeRGB raws, adobe color (or any other start profile)

-Lightroom classic last version, on windows 11

-eizo cg2700s calibrated monitor to 6500k 100cd/m, native gamut

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What lies behind any "Auto" button is an assumption about what will keep the customers coming back. But that is based on what the market research dept. considers "average" taste. If you don't fall into that classfication, Auto buttons aren't for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@anameplease wrote:

I thought, long time ago there was an option to change auto tone behaviour and set a percentage to blacks/whites.

Auto Tone hasn’t been customizable in Lightroom Classic itself, but there is a plug-in that lets you adjust how Auto works. Maybe that’s what you were thinking of?

Link to the Personalized Auto Tone plug-in:

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/bag-o-goodies#personalized-auto-tone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! i will check that out.

well, i was almost sure,  there was a key shortcut to set the auto percentages for blacks/whites, a long long time ago....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@anameplease wrote:

well, i was almost sure,  there was a key shortcut to set the auto percentages for blacks/whites, a long long time ago....

Maybe you’re remembering the adjustable percentages for shadow and highlight clipping when using Auto Color in Photoshop, which go back over 20 years. Auto Color is a much simpler feature; the current Auto option in Lightroom is more based on machine learning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option would be to include Auto tone in the action of a user preset. Then you can override certain parameters within this preset . Otherwise immediately after applying this preset which carries out Auto-calculated changes, you can now tone down all those new changes' "strengths", proportionally - so long as you do so immediately.

Otherwise if you just want to set or reinstate an Auto determined value for a single parameter (as would have been seen within an overall Auto solution involving many sliders) you can get that with a key combination. This may or may not be useful, due to interdependence between adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what i would like is to set is a determined percentage of blacks / whites in preset, not a fixed value on the slider....

now the auto settings gives varying results, but i have to correct the blacks always upwards...anyhow i expect just a starting point, but wish it would be better, to waste less time when a massive amount of images has to be corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines