• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Develop mode slows to a crawl on a particular photo, CPU usage skyrockets.

Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to edit a particular photo (but not other photos) using the Develop mode in LRCC v12.1 (the most current version as of now) my computer grinds away, but is unable to accomplish any edit function except glacially with occasional blips of apparent activity. Meanwhile CPU usage soars for the app. If I switch to Library mode, CPU usage reverts to normal and LR again becomes responsive (but of course I can't edit the photo in that mode). Allowing the app to run in Develop mode overnight (as if it might need some time to clear out background tasks) does not improve the situation. If I try to re-crop the photo, for example, it could take ~5 minutes for LR to move an edge slightly.

I reverted to the previous version LRCC v12.01, and can once again edit the same photo normally. I'm using a PC on Win10.

If someone at Adobe wants to test for this behavior using my photo file, let me know and I'll upload it for you.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be happy to look at the file if you can upload it. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I exported the file as a DNG and attempted to upload it here, but get the following website error, and cannot upload it.

Correct the highlighted errors and try again.

• The attachment's developgrindstoahalt_on_my_win10pc_in_lrcc_classic_v12pt1_(2015_10_14_095211).dng content type (image/AdobeRawDNG) does not match its file extension and has been removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to share it via a service: Creative Cloud, Dropbox or similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that when I view the file from that link on my PC (via the windows dng viewer plug-in?) I do not see the edits I have made to the file, but rather the original raw file. I expected all my edits to be attached to the DNG since I prescribe that LR produces XMP side-car files by default. I don't know if the reported problem will exhibit on the unedited raw file. Let me know if there is some additional measure I need to take so that you can get the edited file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that when I view the file from that link on my PC (via the windows dng viewer plug-in?) I do not see the edits I have made to the file, but rather the original raw file. I expected all my edits to be attached to the DNG since I prescribe that LR produces XMP side-car files by default. I don't know if the reported problem will exhibit on the unedited raw file. Let me know if there is some additional measure I need to take so that you can get the edited file.

The Windows File Explorer can only display the DNG's embedded preview. (it can only display embedded previews for any raw format)

I'm not sure how updating of DNG embedded previews work. I routinely convert all my raw files to DNG, and after editing, some of them have an updated jpg preview, and some don't. I rarely view my DNGs outside LrC, so I did a little test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloaded, imported, it seems fine on this end. I see quite a few masks, but I had zero issues selecting them and moving the various sliders. I have a fast (and new) MacBook Pro M1 with 64GB of RAM and a very fast integrated GPU. 

Multiple masks can sometimes slow down Lightroom Classic but in this case, everything is running as I expect. 

You might tell us more about your hardware and if this is a unique image in being slow due to it having more masks than you're usually working with. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Yes, it's more masks than I usually employ, but not unheard of for me, either. And my hardware was once top-end a LONG time ago, though definitely no longer. But still, the odd thing is I seem to be able to edit it fine with all the masks, using my current hardware, in LR v12.01, but not in v12.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each new version of Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, and Adobe Camera Raw move more and more processing to the GPU so it isn't exactly strange to see an older version appear to run faster with less-than-ideal GPUs. 

Review your system's specs and compare them to the minimum requirements document*: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html 
*last revised/updated at the Max 2022 release.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!
The only deficit I noted is that the amount of memory on my GPU card appears marginal - right at the minimum, I think. Even with marginal memory, however, the strange thing is that it works fine in LRCC v12.01 but not LRCC v12.1. I've attached the System Info report from LRCC v12.01 in case you're interested and are able to spot any other deficits or problems, in general, of course, but especially in your debt if you can see something that is likely to limit v12.1 but not v12.01.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ttnewton 

I believe that the only option that was added recently in LrC 12.1 that might cause performancee issues is the following:

Hold Alt to reveal it in the Performance menu.

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 11.03.40.png

If you can edit the photo without issues in LrC 12 then it might be that option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, C.Celia!
That seems like a good lead, so I re-installed v12.1, and found the new setting you identified. On my PC, LR will not let me check that setting, however, so I found the new option un-activated and it remains so. So I think that must not be related to my issue after all, but good catch, and thanks for the idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C.Cella, sorry I misspelled your name! Old eyes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the file. I've downloaded it into Lightroom Classic 12.1 on Ventura 13.2. It is responsive and behaves correctly. 

I wonder if you import this DNG back into your catalog if it performs normally compared to its original? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk,
Thank you! Using LRCC v12.01, I imported the DNG back to my catelog as you suggested. I opened the file in Develop mode using LRCC v12.01 and found no issues editing it or the original RAW file. I then re-installed LRCC v12.1 and opened the DNG, upon which I again saw the long, unresponsive lags and high CPU load. I continue to see the slow/unresponsive behavior for the original RAW file, as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk,
Thank you! Using LRCC v12.01, I imported the DNG back to my catelog as you suggested. I opened the file in Develop mode using LRCC v12.01 and found no issues editing it or the original RAW file. I then re-installed LRCC v12.1 and opened the DNG, upon which I again saw the long, unresponsive lags and high CPU load. I continue to see the slow/unresponsive behavior for the original RAW file, as well.

By @ttnewton

It appears to be your GPU unless Adobe can tell us with certainty that there is no difference between 12. X (ignore double dots, those are bug fixes) and 12.1. Can you provide more info about your GPU (go to Help, System Info, copy and paste). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!
I meant to attach my System Info to my prior post, but forgot before hitting 'send'. I'll attach it here, assuming I can remember this time! 😕 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the file. I've downloaded it into Lightroom Classic 12.1 on Ventura 13.2. It is responsive and behaves correctly. 

I wonder if you import this DNG back into your catalog if it performs normally compared to its original? 

By @Rikk Flohr: Photography

Same GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this only happens with one document, yes, you should save it as a DNG (so all your edits are enclosed with the raw) and upload it to something like Dropbox so we can examine it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see my above reply to Rikk Flohr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem persists and is reproducible across multiple re-installs on my PC with the latest LRCC Classic build (v12.1), but does not occur with the immediately prior build (v12.01). Clearly, something is broken with the latest build (can I be expected to conclude otherwise, at this point?) I've tried every potential remedy that has been suggested here, plus everything I can think of on my own. I will not be able to continue with future LR upgrades if no resolution to this reproducible problem surfaces, but I will need to keep paying monthly subscription for using v12.01 from now on. This prosepct seems unfair to me, but is apparently what I'm looking at. Thanks for your attempts to help so far. Any further thoughts, especially from any Adobe reps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ttnewton 

In LrC go to "System Info"

You will be given the cahnxe to save the info as a text file.

Save it and share it here.

@Rikk Flohr: Photography and the Adobe LrC team can most likely investigate further and test, with your DNG,  on a machine with identical or at least similar specs to yours.

It is not the first time that a new version of LrC  has issues that before were not present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C.Cella, thank you! I did this and shared it in a reply to Rikk, above! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines