Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Develop Tab is adding contrast to my photos, can't find a solution

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've SCOURED the web for 2 weeks now, and im probably an idiot, but I genuinely don't think the "solutions" posted adequately describe whats going on....and its driving me insane.  I'm hoping you can help me.
(I've only recently encountered this issue - the previous year i've used lightroom and never noticed this)

When i import my photos, and view them in the library tab, they still appear as I shot them (flat, log, etc).

When I open them in the Develop Tab, it looks as if my image "darkens" but I believe its just having its contrast "increased" even though the slider is at 100.

Dragging the slider to 0 gives me a similar image as the preview, but its still not the same. Which leads me to believe even more unauthorized changes are occuring behind the scenes. 

Here is a quick video describing the process and showing exactly what happens.
https://youtu.be/MHfDXvLekGg

Hope SOMEONE can help!!! Its driving me insane lol.

Having an issue where my raw images are being edited "behind the scenes" when I switch from the Library Tab to the Develop Tab. It seems as if extra contras...
TOPICS
Bug, FAQ, Import and export, Performance, Presets or profiles, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

From what I can see in your video, you use embedded previews, instead of setting LrC to render previews at import.

"Embedded previews are created by cameras and are not color managed, so embedded previews don't match how Lightroom Classic interprets the camera raw files. Previews rendered by Lightroom Classic take longer to generate but are color managed." (from this Adobe article)

I have never experienced it myself, so I'm not certain this is the cause of your issue, but certainly worth a try.

Hope that helps,

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that is indeed the reason. Lightroom builds a preview with its own raw-engine, and that is different from your camera raw-engine. Apart from that, check your camera default settings. Preferences - Presets. If you choose 'Camera Settings' as default, the Adobe generated preview should be a closer match.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines