• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disk drive cloning problems with Windows 10 PC

New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated to latest version of Lightroom, imported from old catalogue all working fine. 

My photos are kept on an external drive which I clone.  Recently the main hard drive failed and I loaded the photos from a cloned drive, this is not a problem for the files imported from the old version of Lightroom, but I have folders I have created in the new version that are a problem.  Once the cloning is complete I can see folders and files using File Explorer.  When I open LRC the folders initially appear, but then a question mark comes up next to the folder and using File Explorer I find the folders and files have gone from the disk.  I have done this a few times to be able to have a clear idea of what is going on, it takes hours to clone my drive!!

I have now copied the folders and files back to the cloned drive and they now appear in LRC and work as they should.  Ongoing I can't realistically expect to keep track of files over several cloned drives.  Has anyone had this problem and more importantly found a fix.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This document explains the whole thing, and how to fix this (with screen captures): http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, some useful information.  It didn't quite answer the specific problem of cloned drives, I have read somewhere that cloning is difficult because of the way LR deals with drive letters and portability of files.  This particular issue is that some of the folders and files that were cloned are deleted soon after LR is launched. So, they appear in File Explorer but are deleted from the drive soon after LR starts. I'm not quite sure how to use LR in this way if I am not confident that the files will be kept safe.  Thanks  David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I am not a user of cloning software ... and so I don't really understand why cloning software would cause "some of the folders and files that were cloned are deleted soon after LR is launched". Cloning by itself, without launching Lightroom Classic, does not cause files and folders to be deleted, does it? The cloned files are on a different drive than the originals, are they not?

What user actions happen at this time? You clone, you launch LrC, what else are you doing? Are there any steps in LrC that you do, or is it simply launching LrC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, odd isn't it.  The cloning takes place on a standalone dual bay drive, no PC interaction. The original disk can be put into the drive bay and all files and folders are seen and useable. You can imagine with 5 hours to clone the drive it is not easy to repeat this in a hurry.  Twice I did this and the two new folders and associated files were missing. The third time I formated the drive as I wanted to check the dual bay drive was doing what it should and was copying all files etc., as I like you can see no reason why two folders of many were being deleted, however these are the only two folders created in the new version of LR.  On this occassion I opened the drive in file explorer, whereas before I had gone straight to LR, the folders and files were accessible, I then opened LR and, as I recall, after initially seeing the folders very quickly question marks appeared by the folders, I then checked file explorer and the files had gone.  Now I have a bit more understanding of what is going on and if I go through the cloning process again I will be a little more methodical in the steps I take.

I am not running anything else at the time I open LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding

So, they appear in File Explorer but are deleted from the drive soon after LR starts.

Does this mean they are deleted from File Explorer or deleted from the LrC view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, just seen your second question. The files and folders are deleted from the drive, the folders remain as part of LR catalogue but the files are not available to edit.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic does not delete folders or photos by itself. If you are not performing any actions in Lightroom Classic other than opening it, then this is not a problem caused by Lightroom Classic, it can only be a problem caused by the cloning software (or the operating system or some background task running on your computer). So I will have to drop out of this conversation at this point as I can't answer questions about your cloning software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm inclined to agree with you, but it is happening and I have no idea why, cloning takes place away from the PC so not related. If I find an answer I will post it. Thanks for considering this.  David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines