Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Distortion on Export of JPG from Adobe Lightroom Classic

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I recently shot a concert and tried out a Canon R5 Mirrorless Camera for the first time. The files are CR3 in format. I'm a MacBook Pro user, Big Sur 11.5.1, Processor: 2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, Memory: 16 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X, Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB. 

I'll edit a photo in Lightroom Classic (updated to the newest version). In Lightroom, it looks great. Here is a screenshot from in Lightroom of an example photo: 

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 6.26.59 AM.png

Here is the same photo when I export it to a JPG (full res), Color Space sRGB: 

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 6.50.50 AM.png

With Exports, I'm getting this weird hatching distortion on the image. It's driving me crazy, I've never experienced this before and I've been using Lightroom for years shooting with a Canon 5D Mark II. 

I've tried reaching out to Adobe support, and I tried everything that the CS rep asked me to do. Nothing helped. I was hoping getting a new computer would help, it did not. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks, 

Spurg

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot see any differences in the photos posted!

What is the "hatching" you are referring to?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the RF 24-240mm lens? If so, there's a known problem with lens profile. See this thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-bugs/p-lens-correction-profile-for-canon-rf24-240-exhibits...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're referring to the rectangular pattern on the t-shirt (export above, LR below):

johnrellis_0-1638666120348.png 

johnrellis_1-1638666243572.png

Since you're on a Mac, it's less likely you've got a display profile issue. There are a couple of possibilities, but rather than play 20 questions, it will be easiest if you:

1. Open the Export window and post a screenshot of all the export settings. (Make the window taller if necessary.)

2. Select the photo, do Metadata > Save Metadata To File, then upload the .cr3 and its .xmp sidecar to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey John, 

That is exactly what I'm referring to. Apologize for the delay here, I've been busy with other more pressing end of year issues. Here are 2 screenshots of the Export settings:

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 6.29.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-16 at 6.29.25 PM.png

And here is the link for the XMP and the CR3: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1paf3_kH0O-zImBoxwPlieCpfil8EkymQ?usp=sharing

Thank you for the clear instructions as to what you would need to consider this problem. 

Cheers,

Spurg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Develop and Library modules use different preview interpoaltion. What you are seeing is due to very high luminace noise in the image. This causes the Develop module preview to be less accurate at less than 1:1 Zoom view, with the Library module providing a more accurate rendering as to what the export file will look like. The solution is to adjust the Noise Reduction panel controls at 1:1 100% Zoom view so that there is very little noise visible. This should make the Develop & Library module previews to look near identical and the same as the export file.

Here are the settings I used.

ToddShaner_0-1639872031208.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Todd, 

Thanks for the response. 

If this is the case, is it specific to CR3 files? I've been shooting with a Canon 5D Mark II and Mark III for years and I've never experienced this. The only issue I'm having is with the new Canon R5 which shoots CR3 files. 

Again, appreciate your explaination. 

Cheers,

Spurg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not specific to camera model. The 1Q6A1631.CR3 file you posted was shot at ISO 12800, which is exhibiting very high Luminance noise in the image. It's actually worse than what I see with my Canon EOS 5D MKII and 6D cameras at the 12800 ISO setting. I checked the CR3 file EXIF data and the camera temperature was 35 celius or 95 farenheight. Higher temperature will raise the noise level in the image file. but the solution is as I outlined. The only other option is to simply use the Library module Loupe preview at Fit view to determine if more noise reduction and or less sharpening is required. That's the most accurate preview concerning what export files will look like. Personally, I find proper adjustment of the Detail panel settings in the Develop module at 100% Zoom view to reduce visible noise is the best solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Todd, 

I appreciate you taking the time for the further explaination. I rented the R5 and just had never encountered anything like this before. Thanks for the details and clarity. 

Cheers,

Spurg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google search on canon R5 noisy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi did you ever find a fix for this? My 5D mkIV never had this issue it's only with my R5 and i'm getting that frustrated I'm tempted to jump ship to nikon and capture one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If this is a noise problem, then how about using the new Denoise function?...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines