Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG export to JPG changes colors

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the following problem... when I export my edited DNG file to JPG then colors and saturation change? BUT if I export RAW file as JPG then colors and saturation remain the same! 

See screen shot examples attached - Photo viewed in LR and the same one in IrfanView.

Any idea what may be wrong, how to fix color profiles? 

Thank you, 

Marko

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

This explains everything. The color of the sea is outside of the sRGB gamut. Here you can see the problem area in red with soft proofing enabled:

Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 10.11.05 AM.png

Areas in the red will not display correctly when exported to sRGB. You can also see it when toggling between soft proofing and off with the out of gamut overlay disabled. The problem is much less pronounced when you use displayP3 gamut but is present even in adobeRGB. So if you export to sRGB, you will indeed see the problem but only on a wide gamut m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By RAW file I meant Nikon NEF file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What color space are you using when exporting?

And is color management in IrfanView turned on?

The desaturation you're seeing is typical for viewing images in the ProPhoto color space in an application without color management.

irfanview.png

In the future, please insert screenshots by using the Insert Photos button in the toolbar.

Insert-photos.png

image.png

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for quick answer Per!

I export JPGs always in sRGB and Yes, color management in IrfanView is enabled.

It looks like the problem is Irfan and/or FastStone viewer... colors in LR, Windows folder icons as well as in the Web-browser are ok! I only see desturated colors in Irfan ond only for DNG files, NEFs once exported as JPG are ok?!
This is really a big MISTERY??

YesIrfan_ColorManagementON.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software are you using? Please state clearly the name of the software and the version NUMBER.

My web browser will not show the attachments here at Adobe forums. Please include your screen captures by clicking on the "Insert Photos" icon; do not include attachments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the latest version of LR Classic and the latest version of IrfanView. 

btw thank you for the tip regarding attachments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you view both in the same app do they match?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photo above with saturated colors is screen shot of DNG file within LR, and the other photo with washed-out colors is a screen shot of JPG file within IrfanView. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has nothing to do with DNG per se, which produces data that is as raw as the original. It has to do with some color management issue most likely the 'other' product otherwise it would match LR, Photoshop, any color-managed application. It could be a setting or an issue with the display profile (the old one might be corrupted.) If you are using software/hardware for this task, be sure the software is set to build a matrix not LUT profile, Version 2 not Version 4 profile.
Maybe even your GPU could be an issue, disable in the various products to see if that alters anything. If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it.
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

You have Photoshop right? Does the JPEG match there match LR in Develop module at the same (1:1) zoom ratio? If so, the issue is IrfanView.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for a0ll the insights!! 

Yes, I have PS as well... Unfortunately JPEG in PS (exported from DNG) does not match LR in develop module... see different  sea color (left LR, right PS)....  however JPEG exported from NEF does MATCH  LR!  I have attached both examples ie. areial view photo is DNG and Taxi photo is NEF. 

It is definitely color management issue, I agree but why does it only affects DNG files? huh...

LR_NEF.jpgLRvsPS.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to see both the original raw and a converted DNG. Can you upload both to something like Dropbox?

A original raw and DNG should show identical results from the same rendering.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are fully calibrated (I would still redo it and use a sensor that actually measures the color coming of the monitor!) what you are looking at might be a limitation of the color space you are exporting to. This blue purple shift is very typical for using sRGB on a wide gamut monitor. You simply don't see it in the taxi image because that color range is not present. Otherwise, this might be the known bug with certain drone images being exported using a different camera calibration profile than the built in one. I thought this was fixed but it used to affect certain DJI drone images. Try selecting a different profile in Lightroom Develop and exporting then. Make sure your Classic is fully updated to v 11.4.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably have a corrupted monitor profile. What you describe here is a pretty common result of that. You should recalibrate your display with calibration hardware. You can test if this is the problem by deleting the monitor profile in the monitor's properties panel but know that that guarantees incorrect color - it is just a way to test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monitor is Eizo CG2420 calibrated with its internal HW sensor...

This phenomena affects only DNG files... and I replicxated it on two computers. Will do it on thrid as well, just to be sure.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To determine if you have a defective monitor profile, try setting it to Adobe RGB.

Close all color managed applications.

Press the Windows key + R, type colorcpl in the box and press Enter.

Add the Adobe RGB profile (the screenshot shows sRGB, but since you have a wide gamut monitor, use Adobe RGB), then set it as default.

If this fixes the issue, run calibration again, and make sure to create a version 2, Gamma profile.

If it doesn't fix the issue, update your graphics driver if it's not up to date.

For the record, I have the same monitor as you, use the internal calibrator, and do not have any issues.

color-management.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting sRGB as default did a trick!!! Thank you! 

I will re-calibrate the monitor again as you suggested. I normally do a default calibration....  Can you please explain to me what did you mean by "create a version 2, Gamma profile"?  How can I do this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that you are using Color Navigator?

Preferences > General

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! My Version Standard was set to 4.2....

will recalibrate tomorrow morning and post the result.

Thank you Per & Co.!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All, I have calibrated the monitor once again as 2.2 Gamma, unfortzunately the problem with DNG files produced by Mavic dji Drone 3 files persists...

I have done yet another DNG test ie. I have converted Nikon NEF files into DNG files using Adobe digital negative converter, imported those DNG files into LR and exported them as JPG. In this case colors remained consistent ie. LR screen shot of DNG is the same as JPG viewed in IrfanView.

Conclusion: the problem I have is with DNG files produced by Mavic dji Drone 3 only.

I have also found this article on EIZO Website:

https://www.eizo.eu/knowledge/colour-management-calibration/colour-management-for-photographers/5-wh...

In the "Opening files using image processing software" it says: "When new camera models are marketed, the software manufacturer needs to first create colour profiles for these cameras so that the *.raw files can be imported. Even if a vendor-independent *.raw format such as *.dng is used, a colour profile for this camera model is needed to ensure that the colours are correct."

...which sugests Mavic dji Drone 3 camera lack support....   or? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Marko25454589xs8a wrote:

Setting sRGB as default did a trick!!! Thank you! 

I will re-calibrate the monitor again as you suggested. I normally do a default calibration....  Can you please explain to me what did you mean by "create a version 2, Gamma profile"?  How can I do this? 

Not all software plays well with Version 4 spec ICC profiles and V4 profiles don't provide anything useful anyway. So in your calibration software, look for a preference for V2 vs. V4 profiles and pick the former. The actual gamma values really don't matter here. Pick 2.2 or Native or whatever you want or have used in the past. Again, the issue if new, is likely due to either an issue with V4 profiles or your older profile got corrupted; another reason to recalibrate and re-create a new profile like once a month. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for explanations and suggestion, appreciate ir!  

I will recalibrate my monitor tomorrow morning and instead of  "4.2" and "LUT" select "2.2" and "Gamma (EOTF)"  Will let you know how it behaves after calkibration. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to my answer above... it looks like the most recent Adobe camera raw still does notr support Mavic 3 Haselblad camera...

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I sort of suspected above. What does it say in the profile section in Develop for these files? Can you change it to another top-level profile? The problem is supposedly that the dng files produced by the drone are not entirely standard compliant and have a problematic prifile built in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a link to one of youur files. I found some dng files from the same drone online (https://dronexl.co/2021/11/05/download-dji-mavic-3-sample-photos-video-footage/ ) and I can't reproduce the problem. The color is identical between Classic Develop and the exported image as you can see below. Perhaps you need a firmware updae on the drone?

switch.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the hint. This is makingh me crazy!  I do not experience the problem with the sample photo you provided... 

I have uploaded my sample DNG file onto Dropbox, see link below. It is straight out of the drone without any

modifications. Would be glad if you can test it - ie import into LR, do some basic edits, exdport from LR as JPEG and compare colors in LR Develop module vs colors in IrfanView or similar app.

Thank you! 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pi2wvu7omn47e17/DJI_0123.DNG?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines