• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG Export with Metadata

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All RAW images in my catalog are kept as CR2 files with the metadata stored within the catalog. I am needing to duplicate images to a server for communal use. I know that the sidecar issue will be problematic, so I am thinking exported as DNGs will be best for the group. And as far as I understand I would also need to save the metadata to the file (the new DNG) instead of having it stored in LR. That way everyone has the edits available.

When exporting a RAW file as a DNG, does LR save the metadata to the file automatically? I am not wanting to import the new DNGs into my catalog, so I wouldn't be able to select and designate the metadata save to the file. Ultimately I want CR2s in my catalog with metadata saved to the catalog, and DNGs stored on a server that individually contain that same metadata.

Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you export as DNG, the edits and metadata are contained in the exported DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export to DNG should just about wrap up everything needed including all editing instructions, camera profile etc. Once you have a DNG like this, or someone else does, you want to make sure Auto save XMP is on OR the user selects the DNG and uses an Update Metadata and Preview command in LR. Unwrapping that isn't impossible but messy. You would need the DNG Converter to extract the CR2 and you'd of course need to embed that CR2 itself into the DNG making the document a LOT bigger.

Frankly, if you're going back and forth like this, DNG is great but stick with the DNG and forgo the CR2 after that. The DNG is 'as raw" as the CR2. You lose proprietary Canon metadata yes, but that data is only useful in a Canon converter and no other.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I can see the benefit of just sticking with the DNG at that point. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plus if CR2 is ever abandoned, the DNG can still be read.  The DigitalDog's suggestions are spot on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a side note, I've always wondered which is more likely to be abandoned. The CR2 (or whatever Canon or Nikon's native raw file is at the time) or the DNG. Does Canon hold out, or Adobe? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a side note: even if Canon abandons the CR2 format, that doesn't mean that software manufacturers like Adobe will abandon it; and in my opinion, I think it is highly unlikely at any point in time that Adobe will say that they don't support CR2 any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Gaijin_rr wrote:

On a side note, I've always wondered which is more likely to be abandoned. The CR2 (or whatever Canon or Nikon's native raw file is at the time) or the DNG. Does Canon hold out, or Adobe? 🙂

That's easy. DNG is based on TIFF a free to use publicly open file format. CR2 like PSD is proprietary. 

Yes Canon and others hold out on proprietary metadata that only their own converters understand.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines