• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG files in camera raw

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot a pentax 645z, and procude a nice DNG file.  I use a iMac 5k with latest software updates (but not latest hardware no M1)

I open a basic asset mangement in Lightroom CC (current update)

When I edit files i would open in PS (also updated to latest), and PS skips camera raw.  I assume lightroom applies camera raw settings in lightroom from file data on hand.  However, the new features of camera raw do not work if you open first in photoshop and then filter, camera raw.  e.g. no enhance. THere is a work around, i have to locate file in finder and open the file from there directly in PS.

How do I go from lightroom with a DNG file, to ACR filter first before PS opens?

THanks for any help.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As there is no longer a program called "Lightroom CC", can you clarify exactly which of the two current versions of "Lightroom" you are using: Lightroom Classic or the cloud-based Lightroom Desktop, and also what update level is installed (Help>System Info)? Also please tell us the currely-installed version numbers for Photoshop and Camera Raw.

If all the apps are up-to-date, when doing "Edit in Photoshop" on a raw file from whichever Lightroom program you are using, the file is passed from "Lightroom" to Photoshop, and Photoshop silently invokes its Camera Raw plug-in to render the raw file into either Tiff or PSD format (depending on your settings). So, you don't see Camera Raw being used, but it actually is. If you want to be able to invoke Camera Raw yourself from within Photoshop, you would have to use the option to "Open as Smart Object in Photoshop" from the "Edit in..." right-click menu item, but that is only available from Lightroom Classic, not Lightroom Desktop. 

Note that "Enhance" is available if you open the raw image directly into PS/ACR from Finder (right-click on the image in ACR and choose "Enhance"). If using the "Edit in Photoshop" option from Lightroom, I guess the assumption is that you would use it in LrC/LrDesktop before sending the file to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your versions of Photoshop and Lightroom are up to date, then there is no feature in Camera Raw that isn't in Lightroom too. Enhance is available in Lightroom. You do not need Camera Raw for that.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Camera RAW code is internal to Lightroom Classic. LrC is a Parametric image editing application that is basically an interface around Camera RAW, providing Data Access Management (DAM) , RAW conversion, and non destructive post processing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and PS skips camera raw.

I assume you meant that in LrC you those to Edit in Photoshop. Photoshop comes up, but the Camera RAW does not. This is because LrC already accomplished the actions of Camera RAW, and as long as the Camera RAW internal to LrC, and the Camera RAW plugin that PS uses are the same version, then no such Camera RAW dialog will come up.

Very LrC/PS fundamental.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tip

In these community pages, please do not use phrases like Latest, Current, updates, upgraded, when referring to software versions. List the actual version. You are just annoying the members who have seen time and time again, "latest" turning to be several versions old. Same with OS.

Always list your Adobe program name and version

Always list your Operating system name and version

for example, on my rig: Lightroom Classic v10.3, MACOS Big Sur v11.5.1

note that the letters CC are not mentioned, CC implys 3 plus  year old Adobe software, perhaps v6.14, very very not up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Super enhance is not available in the Camera Raw filter. You must either perform that process directly in Lightroom (available in version 10.3) or in the camera raw plug-in. You can perform other functions in the Camera Raw filter after you have done your super enhance process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines