• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG images looks very different after update

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to v10.3, my DNG files look very different (obviously, without any intervening edits to the image). In fact, in the Library, everything appears to look fine at first. However, after selecting the image in Develop, the image updates after a few seconds.

IMG_20200315_105349.jpgIMG_20200315_105349.jpg

Above are the images before/after the update. As you can see, the image looks very different, and it is now completely unuseable.

• This is happening to all DNG images.
  • These DNG images are from a Nokia 9 phone, which takes RAW images.
  • I also have a collection of NEF raw images, and these appear ok.
  • For the particular example above, the image had been using the Adobe Standard profile before/after. 

Any suggestions on how I can fix this problem?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You indicated that you updated to LrC 10.3. What did you update FROM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a while since I updated, so I'm actually not sure. But the original (left/good) image was probably from before 10.x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You see the difference initally IN Lightroom or, different when viewing in LR vs another application? 

When you first import an image, the preview is the embedded JPEG (even in a DNG). It is expected that as LR builds its own previews from the raw, the preview will change. 

The Nokia previews and the NEFs are not comparable in any way. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The differences were observed entirely from within Lightroom only. I'm not comparing this to any other application.

I realize that NEFs and not comparable to DNGs--my only point was that both the old and new versions of LR rendered NEFs the same way (or at least no noticeable differences were observed), but the old and new versions of LR rendered DNGs VERY differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the left it seems it could  be a JPG rendering of the RAW ... That happens before LR renders its own previews

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both images are exported JPGs from RAW. On the left is the export from the previous version of Lightroom. On the right is the export from v10.3 of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, both images above are from Lightroom. The only difference is that one on the left was rendered with an old version of LR, and the one on the right with v10.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@zzazzles wrote:

Just to be clear, both images above are from Lightroom. The only difference is that one on the left was rendered with an old version of LR, and the one on the right with v10.3.

We are not getting anywhere because you are still unclear about where you are viewing the two images. Not from; I get that you have a DNG in LR. 

You import a DNG right?

You then see the preview update, right? If not.... 

You export using what settings? You view that exported image where and how? You've imported that JPEG after export? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, here is exactly what I did.

1. Last year, I was on an older version of Lightroom.
  2. Imported a DNG from my phone.
  3. Edit the photo.
  4. Exported it to JPG.
  5. Got the image on the left. (I had a copy of this image since I had uploaded to a server.)
  6. Fast forward a few months: I updated Lightroom to v10.3.
  7. Fast forward a few more months. I'm running out of space on my server, so I want to re-export my whole catalog, limiting the image sizes. (Limiting the size is the only change between my old export and new export settings.)
  8. I exported catalog to JPG, and got the image on the right.
  9. I noticed that the old and new images are very different.

The differences are not due to exporting to JPG, because I can see it from within Lightroom. You can see that the new image is way too dark, and I can see that from within Lightroom. All the DNGs just don't look right and are now too dark. All my NEFs look fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on what you describe, what it sounds like may (repeat) may have happened is when you re-imported the DNGs, they were imported with a different (default or user default) preset. 

Fix one so it looks like you wish. Make a preset of the fix, apply that to all the other DNGs that are not bright enough. 

And again, import per camera is now the norm so that the NEFs don't look different isn't pertient. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...when you re-imported the DNGs, they were imported with a different (default or user default) preset.

But I did not re-import. I imported the DNGs only once, in the old Lightroom.

Essentially, all I did was:

1. Imported a DNG in old LR.
  2. Export JPG in old LR. Got image on left.
  3. Export JPG in new LR. Got image on right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the exported JPEG (right) is the issue? Not the DNG (left) you see in Develop, right? 

Let's see the export dialog. 

The two images you show, are both in Develop, right? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the exported JPEG (right) is the issue? Not the DNG (left) you see in Develop, right? 

Yes.

export.png

Here is the export dialog. The only difference between the two exports is setting "Resize to Fit" since I'm trying to downsize all my images.

The two images you show, are both in Develop, right? 

No. The two images in my original post are literally the JPGs that I exported from the old and new LRs. However, I see the same image in Develop so I'm sure this is not an Export issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's forget the old LR (because that is gone I believe). I don't think anyone here can analyze what may have changed between then and now, so lets fix the issue in the current version you're using (unless you can actually roll back). 

You have a DNG, you like the color appearance yes? 

You export that DNG to a JPEG and bring it back into LR and view that inside Develop. The two match or the two do not match? 

IF the DNG in the newer version looks dark, we've covered how to fix that. The DNG isn't unsable, it appears too dark and if it is raw data, you can adjust the brightness. In fact, the DNG is no different today than when you shot it.

Presumably all exports will match that after you adjust brightness. 

Also, can you explain this: 

In fact, in the Library, everything appears to look fine at first. However, after selecting the image in Develop, the image updates after a few seconds.

What happens if you select Update DNG Preview and Metadata? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, can you explain this: 

In fact, in the Library, everything appears to look fine at first. However, after selecting the image in Develop, the image updates after a few seconds.

What happens if you select Update DNG Preview and Metadata? 

When I first browse to the library containing these DNGs, everything appears to look fine (i.e. the way they looked to me in old LR). However, if I select an image (or select Update DNG preview and Metadata), the image darkens. This is probably because when I first opened the library, LR was loading the cached thumbnail/preview from old LR. Then when I select the image, it reloaded the raw and re-ran rendering, and gave me the darker image.

I believe I'm facing the same issue as in this thread. Basically, I think the old version of LR/Camera Raw doesn't have support for my phone. In 10.3, LR/Camera Raw has support for my phone, and Lightroom's default "Adobe *" profiles are wreaking havoc. Unfortunately however, I cannot get Lightroom to let me revert to the embedded profile; and the profiles I manually exported using the DNG Profile Editor just aren't showing up.

The problem with adjusting brightness is that simply adjusting brightness doesn't quite work for some images. It's mostly in the shadows and maybe the blacks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK right, as outlined, you're viewing the embedded JPEG and LR is updating them. But that's what they really are as far as LR and the current profile and settings render. The raw is the raw. The preview is based on some rendering settings, either 'default' or one's you create upon import. You can 'fix' t his if you don't like the initial preview. There is nothing 'correct' about the embedded JPEG, certainly with respect to the actual raw. If you want to upload that dog shot DNG (nice dog BTW) I can view it in RawDigger. It is probably under exposed. But again, it is what it is. 

IF the old LR didn't have support for your phone, it wouldn't even import the data. Now it IS possible, there was some older, different profile used but that's a far cry from not supporting that DNG. And again, its kind of moot; the DNG and the raw data is what it is. It appears to be interpreted differently but that's 'fixable' if that is the case. Yes, it could be the Adobe profile, do you have others you can select?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

great answer!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines