Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG Previews from Leica M10r

Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Any idea when we'll be able to preview images from the Leica M10r in Lightroom during import?

Seems like it should have been there forever ago seeing as the DNG format has been around also forever?

Am I missing something....

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

For a similar posting , see (ref 1). Solutuion was fixing MACOS Files and Folders security. Also, see (ref 2)

note: Source of (ref 2) used to be more specific as to Lightroom Classic, looking back at older posting, it appears nektony has changed the contents of the document linked. Does anyone have a better document?

Ahh, and (ref 3) speaks to the very problem.

(ref 1):https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lightroom-erkennt-trotz-original-adapter-von-apple-meine-sd-karte-nicht/m-p/12317561#M240017

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Once the OP shared that screenshot of the import screen, with the thumbnails in the grid stating "Preview Unavailable for this File" I then could connect to another members issue. And that turned out to be MACOS security. Oh, could still be s devices vs files issue, but probably Files and Folders security in MACOS.

We will see, hopefully one of the two fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm, I will need to get off my rear end, turn on a computer, download a sample, and take a look.

Suspicion is the DNG format specification used in the Leica DNG is not the full Adobe spec for DNG, and Adobe Camera RAW (including Camera RAW within LrC code) does not accept it.

Looking at (ref 1) , the DNG created by the Leica M10r, is supported, but requires LrC v9.3 or newer.

The DNG that Leica is creating probably does to use the full Adobe DNG specifications. And Adobe needed to treat it as if it was a camera specific RAW file.

(ref 1): Adobe | Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, common info to include when posting

• Adobe program name and version? Lightroom Classic version ??
  • Operating System name and version? MACOS ? v?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downl;oaded a few from https://www.dpreview.com/samples/6467167618/leica-m10-d-sample-gallery and from https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/leica_m10_r_review#sample_images and they all preview in import just fine on my installation (LrC 10.3 on Mac OS X Big Sur)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 Home Premium, LrC 10.3. Downloaded sample from the web, imported and preview displayed with no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Guysk, first post here forgot the critical info.

Mac OS Big Sur 11.4

Lightroom Classic 10.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried some sample Leica M10r 'DNG' images off the web and was able to see them in the preview window. I did make a change in Lightroom Preferences last night changing the pref's from 'dng' to 'DNG' I'll check wether this is what made the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share one of your DNG files on dropbox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a DNG from my Leica M10r.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iy5s7l1srmlyfzl/L1000032.DNG?dl=0

The only other thingI can think of is to try a firmware update on the Leica.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I see that dropbox presents an enbedded preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imports into my test catalog just fine. I see the preview in the import screen.

1.png

2.png

3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking, really appreciate it.

I just updated the camera firmware and still get the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have attached a screenshot of what I get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For other community members that absolutly detest attachments, I have taken a liberty and pasted below:

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 4.38.48 PM.png

This (or very similar) issue occurring in MACOS/LrC has been cropping up lately in the community. Not all causes may be the same, may not be a single solution. Issue is not Adobe Camera RAAW compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving on from above as of 15 AUG 2021, 4:45 PM (Southern California)

Mac OS Big Sur 11.4

Lightroom Classic 10.3

Camera: Leica M10r, is supported in Adobe Camera RAW

Native RAW is a DNG file

In Import, "Preview Unavailable for this File" displayed in grid view thumbnails

What Apple computer do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a similar posting , see (ref 1). Solutuion was fixing MACOS Files and Folders security. Also, see (ref 2)

note: Source of (ref 2) used to be more specific as to Lightroom Classic, looking back at older posting, it appears nektony has changed the contents of the document linked. Does anyone have a better document?

Ahh, and (ref 3) speaks to the very problem.

(ref 1):https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lightroom-erkennt-trotz-original-adapter-von-apple-...

(ref 2):How to grant access to folders on macOS Catalina

(ref 3): https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/macos-catalina-compatibility.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. I notice that you are selecting your source under Devices.

This can be an issue, try it under Files instead.

note, in MACOS, a SD drive shows up in both devices and files, in Windows, a SD card only shows up under device if the card is in the camera, connected to the computer via USB or even worse.

Some have had problems in MACOS if importing from devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file of the dog on the couch shows just fine with a preview in my import screen. I would guess @GoldingD is correct that you should attempt to import through the files area instead of devices to see if that makes a difference. Also, it is best to always import through a card reader instead of using a cable from a camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An oddity concerning MACOS, that I tested yesterday for a different post,

Side note

I had assumed based on a similar screenshot showing the import screen, that the OP was connecting the camera to the computer with SD card in camera, as the OP was selecting the card under Devices.

But, I noticed that the SD card appeared under both Devices and Files, the same way.  I decided to test on my MAC Book Pro (usually used on travel, I use a Windows Workstation normally) And found out my SD card got reported by LrC Import, exactly the same, if it was in a internal  SD card reader, or in my X-T4.

So, seeing the SD card under Devices does not necessarily mean the OP is not using a card reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once the OP shared that screenshot of the import screen, with the thumbnails in the grid stating "Preview Unavailable for this File" I then could connect to another members issue. And that turned out to be MACOS security. Oh, could still be s devices vs files issue, but probably Files and Folders security in MACOS.

We will see, hopefully one of the two fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, thankyou so mcuh for all your contributions in helping track this issues down.

It was indeed a security setting issue in Mac OS.

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Files and Folder > Check Removable Volumes.

PS. I was importing rfom a card reader.

This fixed it and the previews are there in all their glory.

Thakns again everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines