• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG wrong colorspace in Develop module

Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! When I open a DNG saved in DXO Photolab5 that is in the Adobe89 colorspace in Lightroom, the colors are correct in the Library module, but incorrect in the Develop module (too saturated as if non-colormanaged). The same DNG displays correctly in ACR and Photoshop, and also in the DNG profile editor. For the DNG to display correct colors in LR's Develop module, I need to go into softproof mode, Adobe98 profile. This is weird. Is this a known issue, a misunderstanding on my behalf, and can I do something about it?

-LR Classic up to date

-Windows10 up to date

-colormanaged workflow, calibrated Wide Gamut screen

I could attach the DNG but it's size is over the allowed limit.

Thank you in advance

Dirk

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the colors are correct in the Library module, but incorrect in the Develop module"

This is usually caused by a display color profile that doesn't conform to industry standards or is incompatible with LR.  Windows Update is notorious for replacing your profile with a defective manufacturer's profile.  See here to quickly test if the profile is the problem:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-corrupted/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thanks for your prompt reply! I had checked this, and all is fine; Windows uses the correct profiles on my screens (I would have noticed long before! I spend 10h/day editing......) . My screens are calibrated with Argyll CMS using a ColorMunki from X-Rite, and I check my profiles in ColorThinkPro.  I've been doing this for years without a single issue.....

All other files display the correct colors both in Library and Develop, whether they are jpeg, raw, tiff, in sRGB or Adobe98.

My screen exceeds the Adobe98 gamut volume especially in the reds, and that's where I clearly see the odd colours: a printed book that is supposed to be deep orange is displayed (in the DNG file) as fluorescent magenta. That's typically a CM error..... whereas the original raw file doesn't have this error. Could this be an error in the DNG file itself? What should I check?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Triple-check and take 5 minutes to run the diagnostic test. In the past there have been instances of LR problems with color profiles triggered only by certain photos.   It's very common to have a color profile that's acceptable to PS and other programs but causes problems with LR.

Assuming the diagnostic test passes, upload a DNG showing the problem to Google Drive, Dropbox, or similar and post the sharing link here. If the problem occurs on other LR installations, that points the finger at the DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed my monitor profiles to no avail. (I guess that's the diagnostic test you refered to). I will upload a DNG and a Raw file tomorrow, it's close to midnight here now;-)

Thanks many, I appreciate it

Cheers

Dirk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an observation I can report: when I switch from Develop to Library view, the image loads briefly with the incorrect colors, and I see the correct profile being applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dirk Offringa wrote:

Just an observation I can report: when I switch from Develop to Library view, the image loads briefly with the incorrect colors, and I see the correct profile being applied.

If you disable GPU in prefs, any difference? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you changed the display profile to Adobe RGB did you close and restart LrC to load it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If changing the display profile did not resolve the issue try disbaling the GPU in Preferences> Performance> Use Graphics Processor. Set it to Off and then close and restart LrC to load the setting change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I changed my monitor profiles to no avail."

Did you change it to sRGB as described in the article I linked to above? Changing it to another profile generated by your tools isn't a full test, since they may be using options (e.g. LUT-based profiles) that LR doesn't fully support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did. I tried the generic sRGB and Adobe98 profiles (I use wide gamut screens), and with GPU acceleration off as well. To no avail. I understand the inner workings of colomanagement and their tools, vey familiar with all that), and am very used to troubleshooting and betatesting,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Color Space in the Develop Module and the Library Module is different. The Library Module uses Adobe RGB, and the Develop Module is very similar to ProPhoto RGB (actually called Melissa RGB). This can cause slight variations in some images.

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the next step is to share a sample DNG via Google Drive, Dropbox, or similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I raised a support ticket with DXO because I tend to believe this is an issue with the embedded profile in the DNG generated by PhotoLab5. I'd like to thank everybody for their help so far, and will let you know how it goes.

Here's my support ticket with links to download the reference files, maybe one of you would be so kind as to confirm my observations:

Context: a Lightroom based workflow: Catalog in LR - transfer to DXO PhotoLab5 - processing in PL5 - export to Lightroom in DNG "all corrections applied" format.

Technical context: Windows10, LR Classic up to date, using calibrated Wide Gamut screens, calibrated and profiled using ArgyllCMS with a X-Rite ColorMunki

Expectation: the PL5 generated DNG should display correctly in Lightroom once exported back. This means: if we export as econd copy as a .tiff, and we assign the "embedded" profile to the DNG in Lightroom, and then compare the two files, they should look identical.

Problem: The DNG does not display the correct colors.

Precisions: 1: The same happens in CaptureOne. 2: This does also happen if I assign a generic profile to my monitors, so it's not an issue with incompatible profile formats: I went through this on Adobe's support forum first.

Reason to file a bug report: This looks like the DNG's embedded profile is in the wrong colorspace.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1: download this DNG:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wkdmek9jcm1yx4/_DSF8058_X-H1_Adobe98_DxO_Provia%20generic.dng?dl=0

This is a DNG generated by PL5 with the Provia generic film simulation applied, exported as DNG "all corrections applied"

2: download this tiff:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gd2vm6vnczf656k/_DSF8058_X-H1_Adobe98_DxO_Provia%20generic.tif?dl=0

This is the same PL5 processed file but exported as a 16bit tiff

3: optionally download this custom LR profile and install it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvejaq61xqyn26d/DXO%20DNG%20Match%20V3.xmp?dl=0

(in Windows this should be installed in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings )

4. Open Lightroom Classic on a workstation that has a Adobe98 wide gamut screen (MANDATORY! ). Import the DNG and the tiff files

5. Open LR develop module, enter reference view, assign the tiff file as reference (left panel), select dng file as active (right panel).

6. Select "embedded" profile for the DNG instead of the default "Adobe Color

7. Observe the issue.

8. enable softproofing set to Adobe98 colorspace, observe the remapping

9. Optionally, set the DNG profile to the downloaded "DXO DNG Match V3" profile that should have shown up in the group "Photo-DKO" and observe a vast improvement. This is not a scientifically correct profile, but a set of HSL corrections based on the "embedded" profile, made empirically, so not 100% accurate. But close.

My conclusion: the "embedded" profile is in the wrong colorspace.

Thanks!

Dirk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines