• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do you delete photos from SD camera card after importing?

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I have a basic question.

Do you delete your photos from your camera SD card after importing to Lightroom and your computer? I've taken a lot pictures for my family and I am about to run out of space.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Once you have copied the files to your hard drive and also created a backup of the original files, then its safe to delete the files from your SD card.

This has to be done from your Camera since Lightroom has no option to delete the file from the SD card.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you have copied the files to your hard drive and also created a backup of the original files, then its safe to delete the files from your SD card.

This has to be done from your Camera since Lightroom has no option to delete the file from the SD card.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not straight away. But yes, you can remove them (format your card from time to time).

You can also keep them for some time if you have big enough memory card as Lightroom won't import them again when you plug the card in.

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sunnyl94147246  wrote

Hello everyone, I have a basic question.

Do you delete your photos from your camera SD card after importing to Lightroom and your computer? I've taken a lot pictures for my family and I am about to run out of space.

Thanks.

No I do Not Delete images off the SD card using my computer. I use the camera to Format the card. Every digital camera has the option in the menu system to Format the card.

IMHO that is the only proper way to remove images from the memory cards used in digital cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How you delete the photos from an SD card is a different question than whether or not you can delete them. When the images are copied to the hard disk, you can delete them from the card (in whatever way). Do make a backup of your images however. It’s best to make regular backups of the entire disk. If you only have one single copy of your images, then the question is not whether you are going to lose your images one day, but only when that day will be.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

How you delete the photos from an SD card is a different question than whether or not you can delete them. When the images are copied to the hard disk, you can delete them from the card (in whatever way). Do make a backup of your images however. It’s best to make regular backups of the entire disk. If you only have one single copy of your images, then the question is not whether you are going to lose your images one day, but only when that day will be.

Give me a brake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Just+Shoot+Me  wrote

JohanEl54   wrote

Give me a brake.

My message was obviously meant for the OP, not for you.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some people don't ever delete images from their SD cards - they just buy another when one is full. That full card is your backup and can be filed away in case you need the originals again in the future.

SD cards are relatively cheap these days, so this is not too expensive, compared to prices of cameras and lenses.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/bob+frost  wrote

Some people don't ever delete images from their SD cards - they just buy another when one is full. That full card is your backup and can be filed away in case you need the originals again in the future.

SD cards are relatively cheap these days, so this is not too expensive, compared to prices of cameras and lenses.

It is my opinion that SD cards are a relatively poor choice for a backup. Cloud storage, or external HD storage, are better backup choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

dj_paige  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/bob+frost   wrote

It is my opinion that SD cards are a relatively poor choice for a backup. Cloud storage, or external HD storage, are better backup choices.

Agreed. First of all they may be cheaper than before, but they are still very expensive compared to a hard drive. What you pay for a 128 GB SD card will also buy you a hard drive of 1TB or more. But more importantly, think about what it would mean in practise. Suppose your hard drive fails, and so you’ll have to restore all your images from multiple SD cards. That would be a nightmare, because the folder hierarchy on your hard drive was quite different from the (lack of any) hierarchy you have on these cards. And if you rename your images on import, the disaster would even be worse...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines