• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Adjustment Brush Only Make Small Changes?

Contributor ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Lightroom Classic 10.4
Windows 10 Pro, Version 20H2, OS build 19042.1237

I want to 100 percent brush an object and change the color of the object.

I brush the object with 100 percent brush settings.
The mask looks "fully inked" and covers the object.
I use the color picker and select a bright blue.
The result is that the object has a hint of blue, but not the bright blue I selected with the color picker.
The adjustment settings are all zero except the color picker which is bright blue.

It seems like the Adjustment Brush can only apply a "hint" of the blue, but is unable to change the color to bright blue.

Is my observation correct? Or are there other settings I need to change?

Is there any local brush tool in Lightroom which will make the change I want?

Obviously, I could do this in Photoshop, but I wanted to understand if the Adjustment Brush is only intended for making small changes.

Thanks in advance. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have set either Flow or Density (or both) to a number close to zero. Set them to bigger numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The settings were:

Feather: 0

Flow: 100

Density: 100

So in theory, the color should look identical to the color picker value, but it does not.

It looks like a hint of the color picker value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color picker is bright blue, but that tool doesn't have unlimited capability to change (for example) red to blue, even if you change the exposure. I think you need to also adjust the Hue slider to change the colors to more blue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I am not understanding your project. Are you trying to totally change a color of an object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not exactly the capability of that tool, but a procedure to try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWU9IR57CEs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Petrula wrote:

I use the color picker and select a bright blue.
The result is that the object has a hint of blue, but not the bright blue I selected with the color picker.

Were you using the swatch labeled Color at the bottom of the Adjustment Brush options? That is more for altering a color without completely changing it. However, Jésus Ramirez has found that feature can alter color more fundamentally, the way it sounds like you want to, if you first set Saturation to -100 as he does at 4:45 in this video. You may also need to adjust tone options such as Exposure if the new color is fully saturated at a different luminance level than the original color.

But the Color option is not always ideal for this, so if Color still doesn’t get you far enough, the newer and more powerful Hue option can be much more effective at completely changing the color of an object, as shown by Aaron Nace in this video. His Adjustment Brush example starts at 5:13.

@Petrula wrote:

I wanted to understand if the Adjustment Brush is only intended for making small changes.

No, if you try the Adjustment Brush with other settings like Exposure, you quickly discover that very large changes are possible. The problem in this specific case has to do with setting up the tool appropriately, or using a different option such as Hue.

Also note that using a color Range Mask can help you select areas of color very quickly and precisely, so that you have less mask painting to do. A color Range Mask is commonly used with Hue; Aaron shows that at 6:22.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate all the responses I received last night.

I need a day or two to go through the various videos to see what they are doing.

The main problem is that the Adjustment Brush does not seem to work in an intuitive way.

I will get back with a response to all the suggestions.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The main problem is that the Adjustment Brush does not seem to work in an intuitive way."

You'll see that the way masks (brush, filters) work in the newly released LrC 11.0 is different than in LrC 10.4 and older versions. Maybe you'll like it more, maybe not 😉

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator ([moderator deleted the URL from the signature. Kindly note that URLs in the signature may be considered as spam])

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Here's yet anoher video showing how you can change colors in Lightroom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDhL88vC_S8

As you can see, with the proper brush settings, you can completely change the color, not only give a hint of color.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator ([moderator deleted the URL from the signature. Kindly note that URLs in the signature may be considered as spam])

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that v11 is out, and now as looking for tutorials on masking is required, I stumbled upon the one below. A different way to do what you want is included.

Watch the whole video, it is worth the time, very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Fld8eEHsE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

great find, Dennis! yes do watch it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines