• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does LRC 12.1 "Import from Aperture Library" work under Mac Ventura?

Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying, for the first time, to import some old Apple Aperture catalogues into Lightroom.

Delighted to see that compared with when I first looked at the "manual method" LR Classic now has an integrated "Import Extra" called "Import from Aperture Library", with options. Great!

The only problem is that when I select various options (or even don't and leave them as default), I see the import button turn blue for about 1/10th second and then revert to greyed out.

So, under OS13, AKA Ventura, I can no longer open Aperture libraries with Apple Photos - so does that mean the LRC "Import Extra" can't open them either?

Is anyone out there successfully importing from Aperture under Ventura?

Thanks.

Stephen

LR Classic Import from Aperture fail.jpg

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you search here, you'll find years of posts about problems with the Aperture/iPhoto importer plugin: greyed out buttons, unusably slow for libraries larger than a few thousand photos, stalling on "poison" photos, other bugs. The plugin was poorly implemented and Adobe has never provided support.

The old manual method works best with a working Aperture, which you don't have:

http://lightroomsolutions.com/articles/migrating-from-aperture-to-lightroom-where-do-i-begin/

Consider getting the Avalanche app, which many have reported works very well (and it preserves your Aperture edits as LR Develop settings).  Avalanche for Lightroom current costs $59, but I see they've just introduced a $9.99 monthly subscription -- perhaps you can just pay for one or two months and be done.  Regardless, how much do you value those old photos and your time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, and Avalanche looks as if they have resolved quite a few issues. Their other software, (PEAKTO) you can trial before purchase but not Avalanche, so I might only find out it doesn't work on Ventura until "after the fact". Perhaps the monthly option and "get it done" is the way forward. 

Thanks for the steer, It didn't show up on any of my searches - not quite sure why - but it looks like a very good option if it is "Ventura friendly."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They have a free trial for Avalanche:

https://cyme.io/download-avalanche/ 

Rereading their Buy page, the monthly subscription is for Peakto, not Avalanche :-<

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines