• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does the Lightroom Classic SDK support custom UI panels?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to create a custom UI panel that is visible in the library view? (Example of panel location in the attached screenshot) As far as I can tell the SDK only supports adding UI elements in the export/publish dialogs and from pop-up UI elements that are selected from the menubar. 

I'm trying to add an always-visible UI element that will contain client details while still having the library view as the active window. If anybody has any suggestions for workarounds or knows if this is possible please let me know!

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

If you want to display per-photo metadata, you can create a custom Metadata panel tagset, which can display standard LR metadata fields or custom metadata fields added to photos by a plugin.  As an example, here's the custom tagset defined by my Any Vision plugin:

johnrellis_0-1659315678860.png

See Adding Custom Metadata Tagsets in Chapter 4 of the SDK Programmer's Guide.

If you want to display other sorts of inf

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know SDK, but, you can set the 'flourish' that appears under the panels with an image of your choosing, and that can be a graphic, or a graphic of text.

Panel End Marks are saved in Windows folder-

C:\Users\{Your Name}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Panel End Marks

eg.

2022-08-01 09_26_14-Does the Lightroom Classic SDK support custom UI p... - Adobe Support Community .jpg2022-08-01 09_30_42-Panel End Marks.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rob, I will have a look at the panel end marks as they could prove useful for some of the features I'm trying to implement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

If you want to display per-photo metadata, you can create a custom Metadata panel tagset, which can display standard LR metadata fields or custom metadata fields added to photos by a plugin.  As an example, here's the custom tagset defined by my Any Vision plugin:

johnrellis_0-1659315678860.png

See Adding Custom Metadata Tagsets in Chapter 4 of the SDK Programmer's Guide.

If you want to display other sorts of information that's not stored in standard of custom per-photo metadata fields, your options are limited.  You can create "floating dialogs" via LrDialogs.presentFloatingDialog (), which are not modal and remain displayed while you use the rest of LR.  Unfortunately, Adobe botched the implementation, and there is no way to keep them permanently on top of the LR main window. So as soon as the user clicks anywhere in the LR interface, the floating panel gets buried underneath the LR window.  You'll have to tell your users to make the LR window at least a little bit smaller than the screen so there's room to see the panel peaking through from behind.  See my Any Crop plugin for an example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an app that I've e written  for, amongst other things, running Lightroom connected UIs in a browser view. Currently I'm using it to edit dev parameters from an iPad and to show information about selected photos, again on an iPad browser. I'm also in the process of building a full screen tone curve editor. you'll need Lua and HTML/JavaScript language knowledge but if you feel like getting your hands dirty and if you're on a Mac and you fancy checking it out I can let you have a copy, see how you get on. I've been toying with the idea of making it public for a while, it would be useful to have someone else testing it. 

you can see brief description of it here      . Check out the first video, around 3.00 for a floating window demo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like an interesting solution and probably the best one for what I'm trying to achieve. The production implementation will be Windows based but the concept of your plugin is very interesting. I would love to have a look at and expirement with it on my Mac if you happy to share a copy?

Thanks for this info and the link to your blog it is very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, ideally I would want an interactive panel that you can search for a client from a third party database that would then return information about the clients image editing requests that would be visible while you using the quick develop module and throughout the library view. 

I might experiment with a floating dialog, it's unfortunate that there is no way to keep the floating on top of the LR window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines