• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dragging the map pin of an unselected photo changes the coordinates of the selected photo instead

LEGEND ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dragging the map pin of an unselected photo changes the GPS coordinates of the selected photo but not the dragged unselected photo, even though both map pins are displayed in the new location.

See the attached screen recording.

Tested on LR 11.3.1 on Mac OS 12.3.1 and Windows 10.

1. Put two photos in the Quick Collection and go to Map.

2. In the Map search box, type "California", so the entire state is showing

3. Drag the first photo from the filmstrip to San Francisco.

4. Drag the second photo from the filmstrip to Los Angeles.

5. Observe the first photo is unselected and the second photo is selected.

6. Drag the orange map pin (for the first photo) from San Francisco to Sacramento -- be careful to just mouse-down and drag, so the second photo remains selected.

7. Observe there's now a single orange map pin on Sacramento with no number -- the Los Angeles map pin has disappeared. Incorrect -- we dragged the first photo's pin, not the second photo's pin.

8. Click on the first photo's map badge and observe the map shift to San Francisco, with no map pin showing. Incorrect -- we dragged the first photo's map pin to Sacramento.

9. Click on the second photo's map badge and observe the map shift to Sacramento, now with a yellow map pin with a pointy bottom and the number 2. Incorrect -- we didn't drag the second photo's pin.

10. Exit LR from the Library module and restart LR.

11. Click on the first photo's map badge and observe the map shift to San Francisco and now show a map pin with no number. Incorrect -- we dragged the first photo's map pin to Sacramento.

12. Click on the second photo's map badge and observe the map shift to Sacramento and show a map pin with no number. Incorrect -- we didn't drag the second photo at all, but it's location has changed.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can duplicate this bug.  I noticed this when testing the other issues you have found in Map concerning pins and coordinates and was going to post but you beat me to it.  It appears things have really went haywire in Map.  Great sleuthing @johnrellis 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It appears things have really went haywire in Map."

Yeah, it all started yesterday trying to help someone on Windows add more photos to the same exact location without copy/pasting coordinates. The entire sweater unraveled as I kept pulling the thread:

- the pin positioning bug when Windows scaling is greater than 100%

- the Add GPS Coordinates To Selected Photos bug

- the Set All To The Same GPS Coordinates bug

- the inability to drag a pin with more than one photo assigned

- the right-click-a-pin leaves the map in pan mode 

- even copying/pasting coordinates fails due to an 11.3 bug, fields containing double quotes!

In the end, there really wasn't a practical way to do it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot replicate - Mac or Windows:

"7. Observe there's now a single orange map pin on Sacramento with no number -- the Los Angeles map pin has disappeared. Incorrect -- we dragged the first photo's pin, not the second photo's pin."

On my system the LA Map pin does not disappear. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, how do we make progress on these map bugs?  You're not able to reproduce them, but Bob and I can.  A third person experienced the Add GPS Coordinates To Selected Photos problem (trying to work around the Windows display scaling bug), which is what started me pulling on this long thread. As it stands, it's very hard to work around the Windows display scaling bug when all these other functions don't work.

I wonder what the difference is between your installations and those of Bob and me? I've tested LR 11.3.1 on these installations:

LR 11.3.1, LR 8.4.1, Mac OS 12.3.1, Macbook Pro 15" (15" 2019)

LR 11.3.1, Mac OS 12.1, Macbook M1 Pro 14"

LR 11.3.1, Mac OS 12.3.1, Parallels VM, virgin install of Mac OS and LR

LR 11.3.1, Windows 10, Parallels VM

LR 11.3,1, Windows 11, Parallels VM, virgin install of Windows and LR

and Bob has tested on Mac OS 12.3.1. 

Should I see if I can test on more configurations?  

The diversity of tested installations makes these possible causes unlikley:

- preferences needing resetting

- a mouse hardware or driver problem

- a reinstallation problem

- a Mac- or Windows-specific problem

A wild guess: Perhaps your LR installations are loading different versions of the Google Maps API, perhaps as the result of an environment variable set on Adobe computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography 

I duplicated this bug beforre but here is a video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug also occurs in LR 8.4.1 / Mac OS 12.3.1, indicating it is longstanding bug.  I can't test LR 6 because Map is permanently broken in LR 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I drag an image to a position on the map in the Map unit, the marker consistently appears in a different spot than intended. I can then drag the marker to the right spot, but after having performed some more such actions several markers have moved again to different spots on the map. It is very confusing and frustrating.

Is there a remedy?

Thanks, Sander Stols

Lightroom Classic version 12.0.1

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2

OS build 19044.2251

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I drag an image to a position on the map in the Map unit, the marker consistently appears in a different spot than intended."

This bug, acknowledged by Adobe, has been outstanding for years. It is triggered by running LR on a high-resolution display with Windows Display Scaling set to something other than 100% or LR's Preferences > Interface > Font Size to something other than Automatic (Default).  

The workaround is to select the photos in the filmstrip, right-click the desired map position, and do Add GPS Coordinates To Selected Photos.

"I can then drag the marker to the right spot, but after having performed some more such actions several markers have moved again to different spots on the map."

There are several other longstanding bugs with dragging photos and map pins that Adobe has not acknowledged.  You're probably tripping over this one:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/dragging-the-map-pin-of-an-unselected-p...

If you can reproduce the problem following the exact steps in that bug report, please add your confirmation to it. That might persuade Adobe to acknowledge the bug and get it submitted into their bug-tracking system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moderators, @Deleted User Flohr, please merge with the existing bug report:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-photo-placed-in-wrong-spot-on-map/idi-p/12250178

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines