• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicate File Names Demons

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR says I am missing many files, but what I have discovered is mutiple photos share the same file name beacuse I did not change the file names from my camera and it rolled over the number sequence.

How do I bifurcate the same file name for mutiple photos without creating endless work? Is there a quick fix? Thank you. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Lr very often, one has to be careful with renaming outside of the app as it uses a catalog/database. It does have good renaming features. Otherwise, if you had no concerns about breaking the Lr catalog, I'd use Bridge to batch rename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“LR says I am missing many files, but what I have discovered is mutiple photos share the same file name beacuse I did not change the file names from my camera and it rolled over the number sequence.”

I don't know about this. Lightroom Classic considers a file to be a duplicate if it has the same filename, capture time and file size. If the camera file numbers rolled over from 9999 to 0000, that would not cause the problem. I have imported three different files in my Lightroom Catalog with the file name DSC-8536.NEF.

So I think you have mis-diagnosed the problem and something else is going on. Could you describe the problem in more detail? Show us screen captures?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem that is similar, but not exactly the same....

I guess at some point my camera (likely due to a change in the memory card?) re-used a whole tonne of filenames.... some of these were from different years....

Importing was no problem for what ever reason (likely because they were different years or sizes) BUT they are the exact same filename....

Now my collections as well as the develop settings are totally messed up....

I went through years worth of shots and re-named to make them unique, but the collections will not re-set to point to the proper photo... 

Here's an example of one such photo in the collection with the incorrect photo and develop settings applied to the photo (they are the develop settings for the proper photo that is supposed to be in the collection).

Incorrect Photo in Collection.jpg

You can see that this photo is (re)named for a date of 2017-08-30 with the preserved filename in the file info....

It's associated with a collection from 2018-01-07.....

When I go back to check the file from that date, I get this:

Photo originally in the collection.jpg

These files were never in the same folder as I import by date, so the top one would have imported to 2017/2017-08-30 and the second would have been imported into 2018/2018-01-07.

The only thing that may have happened is that the older photo may have been moved to a removable drive....

Looking at the preserved filename, they are exactly the same name... It's the only thing they have in common (other than they were taken with  the same camera).

I have hundreds (maybe more...) photos that are now like this... the collection and develop settings are pointed at a photo that shares (or rather shared) a filename with a different photo, but the photo that comes up in the collection is not what was originally added to that collection....

If anyone knows a way to right this, I'd be happy, but I think that the catalogue has simply written the wrong info and now there is likely no way to fix that other than going through each photo again....

I'd be happy if anyone could help though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I've also managed to capture the situation with the preview.... Here you can see where the develop settings are coming from, because internally somewhere, it's still pointing to the file with the duplicate name.... Then after a few seconds, it swiches the preview to the proper one. However, the develop settings remain for the incorrect file (in this case, the develop settings are for the airplane, not the dog, even though the dog is the actual correct photo).

wrong preview.jpg

proper preview wrong develop settings.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? Because I'm having the same issue and it's really frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How often does your camera rollover on the file Naming? Usually that only happens every one hundred thousand images taken. At the least every ten thousand images.

Are you storing all your images In the Same Folder, In One Folder, No subfolders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my guess. Split them up into subfolders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I never renamed the files.

And the files were never in the same folder.

What a disaster !!!

Does anyone (THIS MEANS YOU ADOBE !) have a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’ve posted to an ancient thread. It is highly unlikely that the issue described in this thread, though not impossible, is the same one you are currently experiencing. Rather than resurrect an old thread that is seemingly similar, you are better off posting to a new thread with fresh, complete information, including system information, a complete description of the problem, and step-by-step instructions for reproduction. 

If the issue is the same, we will merge you back into the appropriate location. 

Thank you!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines