• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicate year folder created on import.

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running LR Classic 11 on Windows 10. Since last update lightroom creates duplicate year folder within the original year folder on each import. For example, with in 2021 folder it shall create another 2021-year folder and import files in duplicate date subfolders. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Not a Bug. More of a Procedural problem!

The available options for selecting a 'Date' format in the Import dialog can be tricky.

You are seeing 'nested' Year folders where 2021 Year is appearing nested in another 2021 Year folder.

This is caused by selecting the wrong 'Parent' folder in the Destination panel.

If you use any of the 'Date' options that have a forward slash [/] then Lightroom will automatically "find" existing Year & Month folders to import and slot your photos into the already e

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not a Bug. More of a Procedural problem!

The available options for selecting a 'Date' format in the Import dialog can be tricky.

You are seeing 'nested' Year folders where 2021 Year is appearing nested in another 2021 Year folder.

This is caused by selecting the wrong 'Parent' folder in the Destination panel.

If you use any of the 'Date' options that have a forward slash [/] then Lightroom will automatically "find" existing Year & Month folders to import and slot your photos into the already existing folders.

But, You must select a parent folder above the existing 2021 folder such as "Pictures", "My Lightroom Photos", "Photos go here", etc.

If you had the folder [2021] selected in the destination panel you will create the nested folders ie. 2021/2021/2021 etc.

You need to select the topmost photos folder if LrC is to automatically find the correct sub-folder location by date.

If YOU want to decide and choose the 'Parent' folder to place your photos, you need to use one of the option formats with only [spaces] or hyphens [-] and NOT use any with the slash [/]

OTOH- I personally prefer to use the simple option like [20181207]- I choose and highlight my YEAR folder 2021 in the Destination panel and Lr places my (October 2021) photos in these sub-folders by dates 01,02,03,etc.   eg. 20211001, 20211002, 20211003, etc.

I always do a quick preview by scrolling down the Destination panel and seeing exactly where my photos will be stored. The folders being created show greyed out with the number of photos to be added.

ScreenShot166.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines