• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments in Photoshop is no longer appearing

New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title says, just befre an update everything worked fine. When I hit CMD+E on my mac, it would open a window asking me if I wanted to edit a copy, the original or with the Lightroom Adjustments but that is no longer the case. Only when I hit CMD+Option+E the window appears but that is only for Luminar4 and gives me no option for Photoshop.

The temporary fix that I am doing is saving the XMP data to the file by selecting it and hitting CMD+S and then hitting CMD+E and it opens it in photoshop with all of the adjusements fine.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title says, it is correct- IF you are sending a raw image to Photoshop.

Ie. Selecting a proprietary raw file (NEF, CR3, ARW, etc) and [Edit-In] will never show the dialog for a 'Copy'.

Selecting an RGB image (JPG, TIF, PSD, PNG) and [Edit-In] WILL show the dialog with the options.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

The problem is that there were cahnges made to the RAW file within Lightroom. Color, saturation and profile colors were changed and I wanted to edit with those changes and adjustements already made in photoshop. When I hit, edit in photoshop, it just opens the unotouched RAW file without any adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So changes to the raw have to be rendered into a new version. It's a 'raw' edit. 

Edits you make in Photoshop and land back into LR are not raw any longer. So if you 'edit' the raw, that's a different document and data. 

IOW, what you want, an edit with Photoshop edits along with newer edits to the raw can't be done. You draw a line in the sand when you tell LR to edit in Photoshop; that raw and edits are rendered so you can actually open it in Photoshop. You make edits in Photoshop, it's now a TIFF (or whatever you setup in prefs), it is no longer raw. The original raw exists of course. And you can edit that and again open it in Photoshop but the other edits from Photoshop 'live' in another document. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for the explanation from @TheDigitalDog 

When I hit, edit in photoshop, it just opens the unotouched RAW file without any adjustments.

Can you explain this more?

Do not be confused by the window Tab in Photoshop that might indicate you have opened the 'raw'- That is normal!

eg. Opening an .NEF file by [Ctrl+E] in Lr-Classic:

2021-06-09 06_54_49-RHC-D200-00772.NEF @ 16.7% (RGB_16).jpg

The File-type changes to TIF or PSD when you [Save] the file.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nov 10, 2021 -- Essentially the same problem reported by PhotoshopUserPRO on May 14.

I and others in the online photo forum to which we post have noticed the failure for the pathway Photo>Edit In>Edit Photo with Adobe Photoshop 2022 to display the three choices (see below) when attempting to send a NEF from LrC 11.0 (installed 14 days ago) to PS 23.0.1.

• Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments
  • Edit a Copy
  • Edit Original
  •  

The dialog stopped being displayed for NEFs after upgrading PS yesterday. I reset Preferences to no good effect.

Sending JPGs to Lr does display the three-choice dialog. Someone else stated in this thread that NEFs never trigger the three-choice box. Way wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scroll down at the below link to Adobe Help article.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/editing-photoshop-or-photoshop-elements.html

If you’re opening a camera raw file in Photoshop CS3 or later, Photoshop opens the photo directly.

If you’re opening a TIFF, JPEG, or PSD file, choose to open a copy of the photo with Lightroom Classic adjustments applied, or open a copy of the original photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

If I had asked this question before "upgrading" to PS 23.0.1, you would be absolutely right. But since the upgrade, opening a NEF no longer presents the three-choice dialog. IT USED TO. I have used LR and PS since 1.0 and CS, and the LR->PS action didn't work as you say.

Please explain to me why Adobe would change the way NEFs are opened as opposed to non-NEFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...opening a NEF no longer presents the three-choice dialog. IT USED TO..."

No, respectfully, you are wrong with this assumption.

If you are currently using LrC v11.0 and Ps v23.0.1  then you will not see the 'choices' dialog with proprietary raw files. If you do not have matching ACR versions you get a dialog to "Render".

If you [Edit In] a "Rendered" file (JPG, TIF, PSD), then you will get the choices dialog.

And that is how it was in 2012 when Lightroom Queen (Victoria Bampton) published the workflow diagram in this link-  https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-the-difference-between-render-using-lightroom-and-open-anyway-i...

2021-11-11 12_09_00-Window.jpg

2021-11-11 12_09_15-Window.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you attemting to edit in Photoshop as a TIFF?

Does tonughts update (fix) v 23.0.1 help?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-23-0-1-is-now-available/td-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Were you attemting to edit in Photoshop as a TIFF?

No. LR passes the NEF into PS. When the file is edited in PS, it is converted to a PSD or TIF, as set in Preferences

>Does tonughts update (fix) v 23.0.1 help?

No, it did not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, OK, OK!!

I was wrong. I read the notes that we exchanged on our photo website. Buried in the notes were words that actually prove me wrong and ya'll right. OF COURSE the three-choice menu will never be displayed when you select a NEF in LR to send to PS -- you can't edit a NEF.

I followed the bunny down the wrong bunny hole. My apologies!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My mate loves shooting bunnies, but only when they are in plague proportions 🙂

It seems we bombarded you with replies on the topic. And a topic that took me a long time to comprehend also.

The other question that commonly arises is- "Why does the Photoshop document show the raw filename and file-type on the tab above the image in Ps?". Because Ps does not know what type of file will be produced until it is finally [Saved] to TIF or PSD.

Happy editing..!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines