• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit data lost when clicking on pictures

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my Lightroom classic catalouge stored on a Onedrive Server so I can access all photos on the server both at work and home. I backup Lightroom everyday when I close it and wait for all the data to syncronize with the Onedrive.

But now it happened multiple times that I want to re-edit a picture and it got reset to it’s original state. All previous edit data gone. When I scroll through the library the small preview still shows as the edited version. But as soon as I click on it the photo has reset and Lightroom says it’s loading the image.

As shown in the screenshot, it still shows that edits have been made in developing module, but they don’t show.

How can I resolve this issue? I don't want to loose all my work and redo it everytime

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @mhorvath. Welcome to the Lightroom Community. I'll help you figure this out.

I understand your workflow, but keeping the catalog in the Onedrive can cause unexpected issues. Where do you save the original images? Are they stored on an external drive or OneDrive?

Try experimenting with a small batch of images.

• Pause OneDrive Sync before launching Lightroom Classic & while you work in Lightroom Classic.
  • Enable syncing after Lightroom Classic closes.

If you're also keeping the original images in Onedrive too. Try this:

Go to Edit > Catalog Setting > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes into XMP.

SameerK_0-1680720044084.png

This will force Lightroom to store edits next to the raw images in an XMP sidecar file. This XMP fill should sync up to OneDrive & be available on the 2nd machine.

This workflow is experimental & you might encounter unexpected issues.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks!

Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips. Yes I’m storing the catalouge and orignal pictures both on OneDrive. 

I already had that "Automatically write changes into XMP" option checked. I guess maybe it’s an error with writing the meta data. It’s kinda random on what pictures it happens but probably the metadata wasn’t properly written, so next time I opened Lightroom all the settings that are still shown in the preview data just get thrown away. 

Interesting how I would be able to avoid this problem in the future?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LrC requires both the original files and your Catalog file to be stored on your Computer folders so it's necessary to retain them on your Computer. OneDrive will upload copies to Cloud Storage and that is fine, however in my opinion it's not a good idea to work with your Catalog in OneDrive.

The Catalog is a database file and LrC is reading writing to the file as you work and can get corrupted.
Note also, writing metadata to xmp in LrC is a secondary function are does not happen instantly as writing to the Catalog. While you are working in LrC it is reading and writing to the Catalog, as far Lightroom is concerned the info is in the Catalog.

Have a look at the article at the link below for related information.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/catalog-on-dropbox-beta/

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines